Hiking holiday Pyrenees

Meg

Hi

Planning a holiday for April (ish) and need some help!! Fancied the idea of hiking in the Pyrenees somewhere so have gone and got a map covering Hautes-Pyrenees and Pyrenees-Atlantiques.(Michelin local 342 to be precise!) So basically want to know where the best bits are, any recommendations for guide books or walking routes and where to stay (thinking of camping??). Oh and want to keep price to a minimum!

Either that or i'm going to stick a pin in the map and work from there! [:)]

Thanks

I live in the Hautes-Pyrenees so am clearly biased!! But would recommend the Cirque de Gavarnie and the area around the lakes in the Massif de Neouvielle.  For the latter you can bivouac but not camp right up by the top lakes - in the summer you have to leave your car at the bottom lake and either hike up or take the special bus.

Stunning views and lots of fresh air

You can also walk up to the Pic du Midi rather then take the cable car (in the summer - though there's so little snow at the mo that you could probably walk up now too!)

There are loads of paths all the way through and along the mountains - depends on your level of fitness etc

Lou

We stayed near Nay last September, just south of Pau, and had a fabulous holiday thanks in part to information given by members of this forum. There is loads to see and do. We were actually in the Vallee d'Ossau (if you google it, there is a website) and there are walks everywhere.

You could try a gite hire through gites-de-France. Ours was a three epi wonderful old Bearnais house which accommodated 6 (three huge double bedrooms with fantastic views of the pic du midi Ossau) with a high season rent of 270 euros!! pm me if you want details.

Good luck.

[quote user="Lou"]I live in the Hautes-Pyrenees so am clearly biased!! ......

You can also walk up to the Pic du Midi rather then take the cable car (in the summer - though there's so little snow at the mo that you could probably walk up now too!)

Lou

[/quote]

96 kids from my son's year have just headed off there - for a weeks skiing....don't envy the teachers trying to keep them entertained [Www].

Kathie

Eddie ( husband) backpacked from the Atlantic coast to a spot near Foix a few years ago, for 2-3 weeks. He had a marvellous time. He stayed some nights in bothies/shelters/hostels of varying  levels of comfort. The rest of the time camping. He said that the biggest problem was finding and carrying sufficient quantities of water. He bought several maps in the series Carte de Randonnees for the Pyrenees, scale 1cm-500m.. Pat.

You'll love it here Lou - we did in September.  Lots of lovely hiking and spectacular views.  The camping municipale is very good and the village has good amenities including organic  and local produce.  There are the famous caves of Massat to visit too.

http://www.ariege.com/massat/randonnees/index.html

I spoke about it on this thread.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/743442/ShowPost.aspx

Ooops - Midi Pyrènées but close to me so you could pop in for a cuppa[:)]

[quote user="Pads"]I should be out there last 2 weeks of April so twinks you come on down , meg you come on up and we can meet in the middle for a cuppa? (beer) and johnzob can come too. in fact we could have a party..............[/quote]

Party............now you're talking!!

I share many of the comments already made and also must add that as someone who lives in the heart of the Pyrenees (Bagneres de Luchon) I am somewhat biased. The 1/500 are absolutely ideal though for specific routes with greater detail the 1/250 maps are superb. There is also a great software programme called Memory Map that allows you to view the whole of the Pyrenees at the 1/250 level with the added bonus of aerial photographs, route planning tools and 3D fly pasts of routes that you plan.

As we live in an area blessed with some great walks (including the GR10) that cater for all abilities we find that from Spring through to the end of Autumn "Luchon " becomes a magnet for the walking community.

Good luck with your plans,

Regards,

Mike

www.peak-times.com 

remember to check the weather and snow conditions up there before you leave.......with snow falling late this year, the season may run late. We were up around La Mongie last April and had to re/route some of our walks. so much to see up there ! I subscribe to Rando Pyrenees and it is full of imfo. If you read any bit of french you could look on the french walking forums........full of imfo.

Cheers Mike and Lil.

It did occur to me about the weather at that time of year. We are flexible about dates, so i guess the later on in April the better.

Just been having a zoom round on Google earth, great fun!! (I shall have a look into memory map software)

Edit: Too late himself has already discovered and downloaded some memory map maps!!