Any ideas of what London Theatre show to see ?

Recommendations please for what London theatre show to go and see for a family that has not visited the UK for 10 years? Two children aged 13 and 14 and two adults.

Phantom of the opera is a classic ? Maybe Chicago? or Les Mis or would something like Sound of music be better?

Thanks for the replies so far - Sweet 17, I'm sure the Proms are fantastic but this time I would really like to take in a West End show as it will be a real treat/surprise, and also take our minds off of some recent bad times we have had.

Bugbear - funny enough Bohemian Rhapsody came on the radio this afternoon here in rural France and I was explaining to my kids what a brilliant song it was, and that seemed to stay at N°1 for years! I'm sure I'd love that show!

Anyone got any other suggestions ?  It looks like Sound of music maybe in the pickings.Has anyone actually been to a West End show recently and could recommend one?

I went to see West Side Story with my daughter on Tuesday and it was wonderful. The tunes are still buzzing in my head.

Teenagers would love it too.

It might be difficult to get tickets though. It's at Sadlers Wells which is smaller than most theatres.

The wizard of oz is on at the National for a short run - no I know its not the west end!!!!

Unless you want to be sure of a seats before you come, try the half price ticket booth in Leicester Square on the day you want to go, you can always get something there.

There are loads of musicals on at the moment, they won't all be full even at this time of year.  There are sufficient theatres to meet demand on most days.  Also, if you fancy one in particular it's worth checking for returns at the box office on the day.

Ticket sales from agencies can be very expensive - add ons for credit card bookings etc.  Avoid if possible.

Sorry, can't  recommend anything as I haven't been for years, in spite of being in walking distance - cost and lack of time mainly!

Thanks for all these great suggestions -  not only for shows but the money saving tips too!

I am a bit wary of touts trying to rip me off - I'm a Londoner but have become very trusting since living in france for all these years! I like the idea of the half price ticket booths !