Cheltenham

It's not unknown for me to have a bet, but I enjoy watching horse racing for the spectacle, and particularly NH.  Thus, the Cheltenham Festival is a 'must-watch'.

Final televised race today.  The 2nd favourite, last year's winner, Garde Champetre.  The first part of it's name has an obvious connection (Gard, in case you haven't spotted!) and the second is the surname of our Maire.

As they were ready for the off, I said to OH, "I should have backed that".  You can guess the rest.  Only thing is that at 7-2, it wouldn't have bought much more than a decent lunch for my usual tenner stake.

Anybody know a certainty for the next 3 days?  Doumen must have a runner or two (he had one today, but nowhere) and he doesn't send horses over for nothing.

Today's certainties were Cousin Vinny and Binocular but they finished 5th and 3rd respectively. This leaves Kasbah Bliss, Master Minded and Kauto Star - none of which will make you rich unless you risk humongous amounts of cash - so if you are looking for the French Connection it is there with KB.

In the 4:00 I picked Drumbeag and, whilst I hesitate to cast nasturtiums, I tend to wonder when the first 3 in a race are all owned by the same birthday boy [6].

John

We get a regular phone call from my elder brother in UK about any big race meetings. Being in poor health he watches all the meetings on the TV and has studied form for years. Not a big better but often has the 50P and £1 bets,Zooming up the bookies on his mobility scooter. He phones my wife and tells her what he is going to back for her and this week ,depending on the going,some technical term,he says "Monet's Garden" He always bets on "Cream Cracker" for her as well. His bit of fun and at the moment I think my wife is in credit for about£3.

Regards.

My OH is downstairs watching the "morning line" on Ch4 as we speak.  He has put his bets on for the remaining Cheltenham races because (shock horror) we are travelling to Spain tomorrow and he will miss it!!  Not impressed!

Suey

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

I've just realised that I've never been in a Bookies and I have no idea how to place a bet.[blink]

[/quote]

Ah, what a sheltered life you've led PZFP!  The smoke-laden atmosphere (doubtless gone now), the pinned up pages of the Sporting Life, the sad losers who'd spend all day in the place.  Truthfully, you've not missed much.  Doing it online now makes it easier and potentially very dangerous.  Best treated as a bit of fun with strict limits on what you're prepared to lose on entertainment. 

[quote user="Gardian"]

Just for a bit of fun, (provided that I remember to do it) I'll post Gardian's Selections at around 13.00 tomorrow.

Watch this space.

[/quote]

2.05   £4 win   Mikael d'haguenet

2.40   £1 ew   Horner Woods

4.00   £2 ew   Serabad 

My last bet was on Red Rum in the National. After the  bet was put on, , my brother informed me that in the previous year's National he came in last. This time he won at, I think, 60-1. I was  about 15 at the time and had a weekend job in an engineering machine shop and my small win cost me a round of drinks for 7. I.m not even sure if I broke even. As I lived next door to the local pub,The Horseshoe at Sywell, I used to get into the back skittle room and was served through a hatch into the bar.

Never won anything since.

Regards,

[quote user="Gardian"][quote user="Gardian"]

Just for a bit of fun, (provided that I remember to do it) I'll post Gardian's Selections at around 13.00 tomorrow.

Watch this space.

[/quote]

2.05   £4 win   Mikael d'haguenet

2.40   £1 ew   Horner Woods

4.00   £2 ew   Serabad 

[/quote]

A good afternoon!  £25.50 profit on my £10 stake (I took the 7-2 that was available this morning on Mikael d'haguenet).  It would have been very handy though if that 66-1 shot had won instead of 2nd!