Medical and insurance cover for rambling groups

Does anyone know about this? We are joining a French group which goes rambling, amongst other activities. We are part-timers in France, so don't have French medical insurance. We apparently need a medical certificate from a doctor- sounds expensive! We don't have a French doctor - would one from our English doctor (we've been 25 years plus with the surgery) do? Also, we will need insurance cover to cover us in case of accidents etc. We have annual insurance cover up to 5,000,000 euros for medical expenses throughout Europe, plus 2,000,000 euros for personal public liability.

I guess it might be a law in France that we have this cover - just trying to save what seems might be a fair bit of money, as we are part-timers in France, so don't have French medical insurance.

Thanks, Jo

Have you asked if the group might have it's own insurance cover?  All the clubs and associations that we've joined who have required insurance here in France (e.g. sports, aerobics, Pilates) have had accident insurance included in the subscription. 

[quote user="gardengirl "]Does anyone know about this? We are joining a French group which goes rambling, amongst other activities. We are part-timers in France, so don't have French medical insurance. We apparently need a medical certificate from a doctor- sounds expensive! [/quote]

Most (if not all) organised activities in France will have some form of insurance, subsidised by the membership fees.  Hence for example, the AVF (Accueil de Ville Français), which organises walks, will have insurance covering this.  Other organised activities, such as exercise classes, require their partcipants to have a medical certificate from a doctor.  I can't remember if the cost of this is reimbursable, but at most will cost about 24€ from any French doctor.  Just walk into their surgery, explain what you want, there will be probably some basic checks done and hey presto.

Hope this helps.

If you belong to a Randonnee club, they provide the insurance cover (Some or your annual randonnee fee pays for this). The doctor's letter is just a note from the doctor to say that you can walk basically. We went to our French doctor and get a note that says something along the lines of Yes he sees no reason why we cannot walk. No exam, nothing. It is probably just a requirement of the insurance company, but there is no examination. Just another bit of French paper !! [:-))]

beaten to it by one minute !!

I am a member of AVF and a randonee club, whilst both make a great deal of fuss about having public liability insurance for the benefit of the members they also insist that you carry your own as well!

If you have your house insured by a French insurer you will be covered, ask your agent for an attestation which should be sufficient proof for the rambling club.

The doctors certificate is a new one on me, we have to get one even for a 5km fun run but walking?!!

JR, the medical cert requirement must apply to other "sporting" clubs as well.

My OH had to get one to play table tennis.  Only  laughable thing is, the cert says up to age 70 and OH is 77 so either he's covered or he's not by whatever insurance it is that they have!

Now he's temporarily unable to play anyway and no, he didn't get his kneecap broken playing table tennis but outside his own front doorstep! 

The walking group we are joining is AVF; the other group we go with is a mixed English/French group, with no formalities such as Doctor's note/insurance - it's more like a group of friends out walking together and catching up on news.

I contacted the group; apparently a note from our English Doctor will do fine, but no news from them on the insurance front. The idea that we might be covered on our French house insurance is an interesting one; I'll check that out. However, if it is just for public liability insurance, we have that in our European travel insurance.

Thanks to everyone for their help,

Jo