How many km?

Clair

I don't know if it has been mentioned before, but I have found this website useful.

It enabled me to find out how many km I was doing on my regular walk.

http://gb.mapometer.com/en/

Drag the map and zoom to your chosen location (I assume it defaults to whatever location your ISP gives away).

Switch to satellite view and tick Auto-scroll map on the left-hand side, in the Settings box.

When you see your selected route, click on Start in the Controls box.

Click on your starting point (a green flag appears), then click along your route (a red line appears).

To cancel your last marker, click on Undo in the Controls box.

To start again, click on Clear All.

When you have traced your route, click on Stop.

At the bottom-left of the page, your will find info on distance (and calories if you're interested!) and you can also see a relief graph for your route.

A pedometer is set to the length of your step.

Your step can vary according to the terrain or how tired you are, yet the pedometer will record the number of steps (shorter steps = more steps) and present the total as an inaccurate distance, according to the step length it has been set at.

[quote user="woolybanana"]It averages out over the distance and is as good a way as any of measuring distance covered. Anyway, it is the effort which counts in exercise.[/quote]

No it does not average. It records the number of steps, multiplies that by the length of your step and gives you a total.

Nobody is making you use the map. It may be of used to some, even if it is of no use to you.

As for the rest of the comment, what possible bearing does this have with using a map or a pedometer??? (this is a rhetorical question BTW, no reply is required).

Oh Clair, I could never not reply to YOU!

Some time ago, during an anti-paedophile rage on an estate, the home of a paediatrician was attacked because the word was on her brass plate in front of the house, therefore I wished to draw attention to the fact that ped-words beginning with ped- were not indicative of something nasty. The word pedant springs to mind here!! (The whole comment was ironic Clair!!)

[quote user="woolybanana"]Some time ago, during an anti-paedophile rage on an estate, the home of a paediatrician was attacked because the word was on her brass plate in front of the house, therefore I wished to draw attention to the fact that ped-words beginning with ped- were not indicative of something nasty. The word pedant springs to mind here!! (The whole comment was ironic Clair!!)[/quote]

I know about the ped... story.

I was referring to "Anyway, it is the effort which counts in exercise"

comment.

My favourite walk is easy enough for me as I reckon it's about 4 or 5 times the length of my 10 metre tape measure to my front gate.  Double that and it's about 100 metres there and back.  Usain Bolt does it in a little over 9 seconds, if you deduct the time it takes whilst leaning on the gate I can do it in about.........Mmmm.......10 minutes?

No maps...no pedometer...no fiddling with websites, and sometimes no mail when I get there either.  I should cut that trip back to just 3 times a week in future.

• 1 month later...
If you're trying to equate km to calories, some stats from my marathon-running days (before I moved to the Alps, thankfully):

Walking or running one mile burns 100 calories.

One ounce of fat equates to 3,500 calories.

So, walk 35 miles and you'll lose a whole ounce of blubber.

At least if you're walking or running, it will take you away from the fridge. Just do it because you enjoy it!

[quote user="Mikep"]If you're trying to equate km to calories, some stats from my marathon-running days (before I moved to the Alps, thankfully):
Walking or running one mile burns 100 calories.
One ounce of fat equates to 3,500 calories.
So, walk 35 miles and you'll lose a whole ounce of blubber.
At least if you're walking or running, it will take you away from the fridge. Just do it because you enjoy it!
[/quote]

You've hit the nail on the head !!

• 2 weeks later...

I have just found this one Clair. Great site and shows just what we like to know, 'cause then I know how much beer I can have [6]

I tend to use my Garmin Etrex Vista GPS when we go out. A lot more accurate than a pedometer and I can dump our route onto the laptop when we get back too. It even tells you the altitude.