Tour de France 2011

We are planning to go to the Grand Depart for this years Tour de France in the Vendee and would like to include the presentation of the Teams at the Puy du Fou on the 30th June.

We know the presentation will begin at 3pm but other than that, we cannot find out much other information.

Does anyone has any hints, tips, advise or knowledge of this please?

Thanks.

I've been to departs many times and not seen very much interesting, the riders just amble away! A finish is better, or if you can get on one of the major climbs...?

Forgive me if you already know all this and specifically want the "depart"!

EDIT!! Sorry, I just re-read your post and you mean the presentation of the teams etc!! Grand Depart! Oops!

I presume you realise that Puy du Fou is a theme park not just a place on the map.

In the park there is a large Gallo-Roman Stadium where christians are fed to the lions.

But not the Riders of the Tour de France this year for a change in diet.

At a guess the Stadium holds about 8,000 people and in the summer it is often impossible to get in to the morning performance.

At a guess it will be a tad crowded long before the 15:00 Presentation.

Have you considered the advisability of pre-booking your visit.

http://www.promoparcs.com/274-presentation-des-equipes-tour-de-france-2011.html

• 2 weeks later...
Yippppeeeee!  It starts today.  The whole stage is being shown today on Eurosport starting at 10:30 UK time.  Three weeks of being glued to the box apart from next Thursday when we are travelling back to France.  I've got it all mapped out. An early morning bike ride...  back for lunch, sit watching TdeF... perfect.

Today's stage profile. There should be a few contenders.

[IMG]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e170/DerekJordan/Sandbox/1st.jpg[/IMG]

Also on satellite via German Eurosport today. Live!

• EUROSPORT INTERNATIONALSamstag 02. Juli - 12:00 Radsport: 98. Tour de France 2011
    1. Etappe: Passage du Gois - Mont des Alouettes (191,5km; flach)
  • EUROSPORT INTERNATIONALSamstag 02. Juli - 14:00 Radsport: 98. Tour de France 2011
    1. Etappe: Passage du Gois - Mont des Alouettes (191,5km; flach)
  • And throughout the Tour.

... and for those in France it is on FR2/3 starting at midday (CET). FR2 at 12.00, then FR3 at 12.50. back to FR2 at 13.25, and finally FR3 at 15.25. Hope the organisers have double checked the tide times for crossing the Passage du Gois.

Brian

Indeed, and that Welsh lad, Evans, he's been doing pretty well too.

Love the Brittany scenes as we visited the area over 2 or 3 years whilst we house-hunted back in 2005 and we recognise many of the places; in fact, I managed to spot a roundabout that we'd used quite a few times!

I love watching the Tour:  it's like a travelog and you get to hear about the route and the important buildings that the cyclists pass.

We managed to get to the Puy du Fou last Thursday for the Team Introductions and then Saturday we were near the finish line at Le Mont des Alouettes and finally on Sunday at Les Essarts for the team time trial.  It was BRILLIANT!!!!!  So many people, all having a great time.

And then this Friday it comes along the bottom of our road.  How great is that? 

Congrats to all the Brit riders, they are all doing great!

Loirette

Not sure if you really mean Geraint Thomas, currently wearing the British championship jersey, as opposed to 'Cuddles' Evans who is an Aussie.

http://www.teamsky.com/profile/0,27291,17543_6636476,00.html

As you say it's as much a cultural tour de France, (esp. if you watch FR2/3) as a bicycle race. Always interesting to see places visited on holiday - we spent a couple of weeks in the Pleneuf / Erquy area in 2009 - so nice to see it again on tv.

Brian (again)