electric assisted velo

Does anyone have any experience of these rechargeable electric assisted bicycles? I'm not fit enough to cycle up the hill to our house, but would like to get out on a bike to get the bread and save the car for longer journeys. But the prices seem very variable and there are a worrying number of second hand 'barely used' bikes in le bon coin. Anyone know the pros and cons?

Put another way the batteries have a limited working life which seems to be about 18 months. They are hugely expensive to buy often more than the cost of a new bike which does contribute to many of the bikes being for sale at low prices.

I've always been sceptical about the efficiency of these bikes, in particular about the weight of the power packs, which obviously add to the mass you have to propel.

I admit that I have never tried one, although I have tried a Segway, which I thought was great fun, but that's an entirely different concept and the much bulkier batteries are stored low down inside the platform.

Some friends bought a couple of the very expensive bikes (Gitane) last year and have been very enthusiastic. I'm waiting for an update on this year's use. One benefit noted was that it was much easier to set off from rest; one of the users has arthritic knee joints which makes the initial push-off diffiuclt on a conventional bike, but with the electric assist it is much easier. A great benefit if it's the difference between riding or not riding at all.

I doubt that a committed cyclist like myself would have much interest in heavy bikes like these. 

• 4 weeks later...

hi ok

Have a look see at this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyclamatic-Power-Plus-Electric-Bike/dp/B00472NWCA/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1319748771&sr=1-1

I have been toying with buying one for 6 months now had an op on my knee and have taken to the bike at 60  to try and get it back working  ...I am now up to a 10 km   5-6 times a week but would now like to push a bit further .....yuk we live at the bottom of a large hill so ... read the comments any way

Dave

Ignored a lot of the advice and went ahead and bought one!

Lithium battery is really quite small and light, goes about 45km between charges and should last me out (and my knees). Really great fun. You have to pedal or the motor goes off so its good exercise without killing me. Still working up to starting at the bottom of the hill and getting all the way home. But I will!!!

Dave, I got mine from Decathlon. It's the B E'bike ladies version in white and turquoise. There's a mens one but it is dearer. I'm sure I paid much more than on line - but I wanted to try it out (the looks on the shoppers faces as I whizzed round the store!) and have it properly set up for me and the price includes a check up in three months.

You can see it on line if you google B E'bike.

We looked at second hand but they all had lead batteries, and really cheap ones in supermarkets, same problem.

May have paid too much, but do you know, I dont care. It's fun, pretty and it was a present for my 40th wedding anniversary