Frankel

sueyh

Well, it wasn't quite the performance that we saw at Royal Ascot, but the circumstances were quite different as we all know.

The best news for me is that we won't see him again on a racecourse, although I understand completely what you're saying Rabbie. For anybody, be it a sportsman / sportswoman or a commentator or a 'personality' or in this case a thoroughbred ......... its knowing when to stop.

In his case its not so much about the money, more about the memory of an unbeaten horse at the very top of his game. He could only carry on and end up losing.

Henry Cecil didn't look too well: hope that he gets better soon. 

As it happens I have been looking at the history of a great horse called Mambrino. Horses are so much better understood and looked after these days. Poor old Mambrino had to run at Newmarket on three successive days in 1774. I'm really glad that nothing of the kind will happen to Frankel.

Henry Cecil did look ill; even my grandchildren who were forced to watch with me remarked on his appearance.

Hoddy

[quote user="Gardian"]

Well, it wasn't quite the performance that we saw at Royal Ascot, but the circumstances were quite different as we all know.

The best news for me is that we won't see him again on a racecourse, although I understand completely what you're saying Rabbie. For anybody, be it a sportsman / sportswoman or a commentator or a 'personality' or in this case a thoroughbred ......... its knowing when to stop.

In his case its not so much about the money, more about the memory of an unbeaten horse at the very top of his game. He could only carry on and end up losing.

Henry Cecil didn't look too well: hope that he gets better soon. 

[/quote]Actually it probably is about the money. He will earn far more money as a stallion than he would ever earn on the race course.  I agree it is better he retires before he is beaten by something that he would have trounced at a peak. However it is still a pity we won't see him race again.

I am sure we all wish Henry Cecil all the best but I am horribly afraid he will not be with us for long 

I am sure we all wish Henry Cecil all the best but I am horribly afraid he will not be with us for long

I'm afraid you may be right, it's the same type of cancer that claimed my father...wretched.

There is always hope though ........Perhaps treatment has improved and he'll do better.