Are any of you mandolin players or enthusiasts?

mint

I am thinking of buying my husband a mandolin for Christmas.  He used to have a mandolin-player friend and, over the years, he's always said that it is an instrument he'd like to have a go on.

Initial internet research tells me that I'm probably looking for an Italian instrument with a "bowl" back.

He is likely to enjoy learning it and, as he plays piano and violin, he will be able to get a tune out of it.

With arthritis in the hands, he is now reluctant to play his violin when I am around, only playing it when only the dog's ears are there to be assaulted.

Any info, advice gratefully received[:)]

Mint - sorry no advice on mandolins, though it does seem to be a good idea. The nearest in our family was one of our sons who tried classic guitar.

But your comment on the dog and the violin made me smile - my ex. used to play the violin, and when we visited my parents their terrier would sit next to him and accompany him with a loud 'A-oooooh' at the top of his voice. [:D]

Maybe, Angela, but then he's never played it before so if he doesn't sound too good, he could put it down to beginner's ineptitude?[;-)]

No need for embarrassment then, you see?

Me, I'm starting percussion class on Wednesday evenings..............ha, arthritis wouldn't come into that![:)]

I am surrounded by musicians. A good friend who plays fiddle took up the ukulele about a year ago, this friend suffers with arthritis, and is enjoying playing it. I am now wondering if they had considered a mandolin.

Our mandolin was rehomed last year as it had not been played for years.

Id, thanks for that.

You have helped me make up my mind and the quest is now on for a mandolin.

I like our house to be filled with music and I know he will make a nice sound with it because he can get a tune out of any stringed instrument.

I like the sound of a mandolin (or mandoline).

Wikipedia has a good article on them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandolin

A quick search on ebay reveals quite a few for sale at very reasonable prices (of course you can pay 1000's for some examples)

If you put the following in the ebay search box   (mandolin,mandoline) including the brackets , restrict your region to European only (as postage from USA is prohibitive) and select the category 'Musical Instruments' then you get a lot of hits

If you are not familiar with it, the reason for putting   (mandolin,mandoline)  is so you can simultaneously search for both spellings at the same time

EDIT: I just realised that my last sentence was a great big fat tautology - sorry about that [:$]

[quote user="Cendrillon"]Mint bonjour.

I understand that the mandolin has same strings (gdae) as the violin and fingering is the same.[/quote]

Yes, Cinders, same strings but in pairs.  What, you back already?  Have been thinking about you buckets.

Pierre, thank you.  I'll also be talking to the musical ones in our family. It will be a big surprise for him and I think it will give him hours of pleasure.

Selfish gain for me, too.  Can now neglect him more than ever whilst I am out, walking or lunching or indulging in my French-learning activities[;-)]

Mint ...........

I take it that you rarely travel back to the UK and perhaps certainly not before Crimbo?

If however you do, need some professional advice, my son's pal has a Music Instrument Shop in the Thames Valley and would be very willing to provide some help - he knows about your quest. He doesn't stock them, but knows of people who do.

In truth, as he has said, sourcing something over here would undoubtedly be the best bet, but beware private sellers etc.

I'll pm his link if you feel you need it.

Thanks, guys, especially Norman (oops, didn't notice your link before now!) and Gardian.

These instruments are just so beautiful and sensuous to look at.  I'd certainly love to have one in the house.  I'll find some examples of early music featuring the mandolin to listen to and take it from there.

Cinders, don't email me until I send you my new email address!

• 3 weeks later...
OK, have now found 2 or 3 good-looking mandolins............can only go by looks and, of course, sometimes looks aren't everything!

However, that's all I have to go by.

There is a beautiful looking instrument at a price bradé but no protective case to go with it.

I am now looking for ones that do at least have some sort of cover (rigid would be best) and then to have it sent to me.  Alas, none near me so I could go and get it!

I have searched on the forum for sending parcels and will ask once more for people to recommend a parcel delivering service.

I'd pay for the parcel post from the post office but I did have a lamp broken where the sender had taken no end of trouble packaging it up.

Any ideas, recommendations, anyone?  Bear in mind that a mandolin is a delicate object and it's going to be a surprise present so I have to pay for the best if necessary.

I have been a beginner guitar player since 2010 :D does it count?

i try to improve and learn much , but i found out that i ned to play also some percussion beside working only on my web ews aggregator " Newsody " . It's silly to do the same things for years ...

[quote user="Newsody1"]I have been a beginner guitar player since 2010 :D does it count?

i try to improve and learn much , but i found out that i ned to play also some percussion beside working only on my web ews aggregator " Newsody " . It's silly to do the same things for years ...[/quote]

Hello

Alas, I know nothing about guitar playing and also nothing about mandolin playing[:$]

I am buying a mandolin for my husband as a surprise Christmas gift, that's all.

The strings on the mandolin are like the strings on the violin: GDAE but there seems to be 2 strings to each of the violin's one; plus of course you use a pick instead of a bow.  That's the A to Z of my knowledge!

I don't even know how he will get on but I am certain he could get a tune out of it.

I don't think it "silly to do the same things for years", do they not say that practice makes perfect?[:D]

But I do agree strongly that it's a very good thing to learn a new skill as you get older, particularly one that involves mental AND physical engagement.

Good Luck with your news site!

So, Cajal, is that an F-style mandolin you have as avatar?

I have bought OH a bowl or round back mandolin as he will only be playing classical music and not folk or bluegrass (not that I know the difference, it's just that I have had to research mandolins![:-))])

Have had an email to say the mandolin has been sent so perhaps Saturday or Monday............lovely!