Gardening Rates in France

Binky

Hello and welcome to subject close to my heart!

I have a rendevous with the M.S.A (Mutual Society Agricole) on Nov 8th for a 'Conseil de passage' during which my finances will be examined and to determine the correct level of charging in order to pay my cotisations and account for all my business costs.

Currently I have been charging 24 euros per hour for general garden maintenance. This breaks down into roughly thirds.

8euros for the business, 8euros for the cotisations and 8euros for me.

Unfortunetly my maths are not at the Pythagoras level so a recalculation is required.

Moot point... Why the devil should I as a self employed person pay myself 8euros per hour...?

Clearly I cannot keep well my future family on this wage of Ā£45 per day.

I know that the French competition charges up to 36 euros per hour for the same works.

That would give me 12euros or Ā£8.57 in my pocket (96euros/Ā£68.56 per day) 

Many facts need to be considered, my investment/re-investment, running costs (80euro per week on fuel) expected standard of living...

I shall let you all know the results after my consultation on the 8th November.

But for now its 24euros minimum for simple garden maintenance, with other works such as high hedges and large grass areas charged at their 'worth + actual cost'

There are many Gite owners who will do very simple maintenance for almost nothing especialy if you pay them in cash... but that is another story...

What actually matters is just what are you prepared to live on against what it costs to earn that living.

If I had only a cheap C15 van and a basic mower and tools then actually 24euros is a reasonable rate.

But the reality is that I have 40k euros of tool/van/trailer and tools and wish to keep my family as well.

Russethouse, you are wise and knowing...

I put it to you that regardless of the task in hand a basic charge must be met in order to obtain for oneself the minimum wage.

After that a value/worth of the task may be added.

If I was to walk to my jobs and chew the grass with my teeth I still would have to charge enought to obtain the SMIC or I would be robbing myself.

In this event I have to recuperate the costs of my investment in tools/machinery and still pay costisations and myself a living wage.

There is always some-one able to do a job cheaper than you and these are called employees...

Or Brits on their uppers working on the black but thats another thread....

But surely if you are doing a task that requires more than just the basics and you are qualified you could charge more ? (edit - I see thats more or less what you said)

Just for your info (and it might make you smile) We needed some work doing which was mainly laying out and turfing two small circular lawns and constructing a circular area for us to put our garden furniture on, out of brick (and we didn't know how to do that bit at all)

We ended up with 4 quotes.

Gardener 1 - took a month to send his quote in and by then we had already decided.

Gardener 2 -came round within 10 minutes of me phoning which made me think that if he wasn't busy, did I want him? (perverse but true)and he obviously just 'didn't get' what we were trying to achieve but never the less gave us an 'instant price'

Gardener 3 - came round in a rather snazzy motor, wanted to have all sorts of stuff like tons of new topsoil under the lawn, use the best turf (can't remember their name but they are well known turf suppliers in the South of England ) etc. He wanted double what the guy who we gave the job to charged.

Gardener 4 was practical, drove a practical, not new, van and we actually volunteered that if the brick circle took extra time we would pay him more.(he hadn't done one before, but inspired confidence that he could do it)) He gave us a date he could do the job, said he would be away for a couple of weeks in the interim. He got his estimate in within 7 days which is what he said he would do. He hired the machines he needed and a skip (which we used for household stuff as well)

I have to admit that the most expensive guy would probably have done a perfect job,(billiard table lawn etc) but we didn't need a show garden and the guy we chose was more than adequate, did what he said he would do and was courteous. In other words we thought we got value for money. Hopefully he will be coming back to do the patio in the spring.

None of these chaps were into horticulture at all, although I think the first two would have cut hedges, mowed lawns.

I happen to know that at least in the the bits of Finistere I am familiar with, good reliable, gardeners are in short supply so maybe clients in your area are not as picky as me.....I know that you have your machinery, your car and your wage to pay but I guess most clients, like me, are more interested in getting value for money than the array of machinery you need but may not be used on their job and the van you use (as long as its reliable)

Its not a criticism, just my recent experience. I'm sure you will do well.

Gardener four sounds like me...

But even a pro mower is 2k+ and I need 3 totalling 10k with one being second hand.

You still ain't told me the going rate of your local Entretien Espacs Verts...

Still the world is full of value for money people ready to work... but the working week is only so long and there are only so many willing to earn the SMIC...

So what do YOU pay for a gardener and what type of gardener is he...?

I am an R.H.S certified loony with a very sharp pruning knife... HEh HEE HAA!

Give me a price then...

Gone back through my factures...

24 euros minimum for all garden works including small petrol machinery.

Long grass and large areas requiring larger machinery from 36euros+ per hour

Quoting for work is proving more profitable than giving an hourly rate...

Girlfriends away for months so the reason for my enthusiastic postings...

Sorry if I appear to be under the influence... but I am!

I am in the Uk but I think by subtracting a ball park figure for hire of equipment etc, labour cost around Ā£30 per hour between both of them, which was probably around a Ā£20/Ā£10 split.

Don't forget what he does is lawns, patios , fences, that sort of thing...he's not a kiwi pruner

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe they aren't registered so don't have a huge cotisation bill, or maybe they're newly registered and haven't a clue how much they are going to pay out when the bills start rolling in, or, maybe they are quite happy to live on 4 euros an hour!

Hello, interesting chat with my new French gardener.

He charges 30euros per hour. He is allowed 40% for business expenses on the micro regime (12euros) then the socialcharges are 48% of his profit 18euros minus 8.64euros gives him 9.36euros in his pocket. Although suprised I was asking him this he was even more suprised to see to quotes from the other British 'Property services' some at only 10euros per hour but 3 times the actual hours required in the garden. This firm is only pocketing 3.12 euros by this calculation! Unless as my gardener suggests that its all being paid in sterling/euro cash.

He has various horticultural awards and is a real gardener. At 30euros per hour not a bargain but at least he can do more than cut the grass.