No Greenfly Yet?

Pixietoadstool

Has anyone else experienced the same as we have in both our UK and French gardens?  We haven't spotted any greenfly at all yet, whereas at this time of year with the roses in full bloom we are nearly always having to spray against aphids.

I remember old Geoff Hamilton (RIP - sadly missed) used to say that if you fed the birds in the winter then you'd reap the benefits in the summer because they'd keep your garden pests at bay.  Last year was the first time we took bird feeding seriously.  Is it a coincidence or do they really eat the greenfly?  It's odd - since we're still feeding the birds generously and I haven't spotted them on any rose bushes!

Valerie

I think everything is a bit late this year, including the greenflies. I always feed the birds, so I doubt it's that.

We had none at all until this last week, but we did have some Blackfly concentrated in one far off area of the garden. Are Greenflies ripe Blackflies?[blink]

I just squish them.

[quote user="Tresco"]

Are Greenflies ripe Blackflies?[blink]     No blackflies are ripe greenflies!!!!!!

I just squish them.  So do I!!!

[/quote]        The blighters have just arrived this week.........................

Spotted the dreaded greenfly on my favourite Clematis this morning.  Despite having fed my Blackbird all winter (and his missus since early spring) they are too busy singing from the highest tree to give me a hand to get rid of the little blighters !!

It must be altitude related, Pixie. [:P] We have the first infestations... 

That's a lot of squishing, Mme T - are you available for hire? We'd feed you well. Blackfly... casserole, en croute, avec sauce camembert... and eccles cakes! [8-|]

We'd feed you well. Blackfly... casserole, en croute, avec sauce camembert... and eccles cakes! Cool [8-|]  (catalpa)

Don't forget the Garibaldi biscuits - or are they to do with mice' s ?  [8-)]

If you plant the small French marigolds around the base of your roses, or very nearby, you will get rid of most of the greenfly. They don't like the marigolds for some reason, don't know if it is the smell, or what.[8-)] I didn't believe it until I tried it back in the UK.

If you plant the small French marigolds around the base of your roses, or very nearby, you will get rid of most of the greenfly. They don't like the marigolds for some reason, don't know if it is the smell, or what.[8-)] I didn't believe it until I tried it back in the UK.

[quote user="catalpa"]

That's a lot of squishing, Mme T - are you available for hire? We'd feed you well. Blackfly... casserole, en croute, avec sauce camembert... and eccles cakes! [8-|]

[/quote]

Eccles Cakes! Buerk!  Blackfly Casserole? I don't need to travel. [;-)]

This reminds me of a recipe for Larks Tongue pie I once saw. The huge number of Larks' Tongues per pie escapes me, but there were something like 40 pies needed. (This was for Henry VIII not me). I reckon I could get OH to rustle up a decent  Blackfly Casserole. 10 minutes squishing should do it.

Pip is right about the Marigolds. Marigolds have powerful greenfly deflecting shields. They are well worth growing interspersed with veg of all kinds, and near roses.

Fear Not: They may be Gaudy in UK, but not so here, what with this different sun. [:P]

Pip wrote:

"Don't forget the Garibaldi biscuits - or are they to do with mice' s ?"

I thought they were the flys and bluebottles [+o(]

P.S It was me that mentioned the marigolds Tesco. Thanks for clearing up why they work, I knew there was something but wasn't sure.

I have no green fly but lots of black and white flies.  I was told by a Bio expert that planting Tagettes next to my tomato plants will stop green fly. I have done this and they do have black fly on them, so waiting to see if I get the green ones.

I was also told by a friend to plant Basil next to the tomato plants as this flavours them..  This year I have planted them together and wait to taste the results...   Do you know of any other combinations that work?

Still no greenfly here - it's amazing!  I have noticed a prevalence of t*ts in the garden lurking in the bushes and feeding on my husband's fat balls ([6]) - could this be the reason?  We have almost 50 roses in our garden here and not a spot of greenfly anywhere.

Maybe my old mate Geoff Hamilton (RIP) was right?

Would appreciate reports from other counties and departements!

Valerie

[quote user="Rob Roy"]If you plant the small French marigolds around the base of your roses, or very nearby, you will get rid of most of the greenfly. They don't like the marigolds for some reason, don't know if it is the smell, or what.[8-)] I didn't believe it until I tried it back in the UK.[/quote]

Just noticed the b*****d greenfly on my feves late this pm - there's going to be a run on the marigolds at the local GC 2moro.

Not interested in the flageolets though. Anybody know why?