parsnips

montagrier

Live in Normandy.  This is the first year that I have grown them and from seed.  Followed Sarah Raven's book and grown them in plastic guttering and then when strong enough just slipped them into the rows in the garden.  Almost 90% germination (bio seed) and had some already but the rest will wait to nearer Xmas and as one contributor says hopefully after some frost.

Good idea about the guttering. I may try it next year. This year was annoying because, as they take an age to germinate, i was getting swamped with weeds and didn't want to pull them up and disturb the seedlings. Also i wasn't exactly sure what i was looking for!

Louise

Dear Tony F Dordogne be careful with parsnips as you can see germination is sometimes a problem.  Whatever the date on the back of the packet try to get new seed every year.  Whilst you can keep other seeds not parsnips.

This is not Alan Titchmarsh just me reading Sarah Ravens book and which I recommend for a Xmas present.  Have no connection whatsoever with the lady in question!

[quote user="Dotty Trois"]My parsnips are wonderfully green at the moment as well Lousie, are we supposed to wait until it dies down?[/quote]

You can start harvesting mid autumn onwards, and as previously said, let them have a frost or so first. If you are leaving them in the ground a layer of straw makes them easier to lift if the ground is frozen.

Nice Avatar..................... copy cat!

Louise