Buying a chainsaw

Deimos

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Dick Smith"]So good he wrote it twice![/quote] 

Don't know about anyone else, but I am always suspicious when people

say  they were PM'd to be told they were in the right or whatever.

Why can't those who PM their views about other posts, have the decency to

post so others can read their views. In fact, do  some of these

PM'ers ever post, or do they simply become professional PM'ers ?

Miki - Maybe people (I'm not one, clearly) pm so as to avoid going off the topic of the original post.

Chris - what you have to say about security is invaluable but personal insults are unecessary. The original post was a genuine enquiry - the fact that Ian is researching this topic shows that he is serious about it.

Jane

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]Miki - Maybe people (I'm not one, clearly)

pm so as to avoid going off the topic of the original post.

Chris - what you have to say about security is invaluable but personal

insults are unecessary. The original post was a genuine enquiry - the

fact that Ian is researching this topic shows that he is serious about

it. Jane[/quote]

Your name reminds me of a bit of London slang., you don't want to

know.  It's off  topic but what's new about that ? Those

people PM'ing was not my main point though. Still it has moved on

nicely with a nice picture of  a lovely lady with a semi decent

swing..........................[:D]

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]Miki - Maybe people (I'm not one, clearly) pm so as to avoid going off the topic of the original post. Chris - what you have to say about security is invaluable but personal insults are unecessary. The original post was a genuine enquiry - the fact that Ian is researching this topic shows that he is serious about it. Jane[/quote]

Wot personal insults? I spoke plainly perhaps but didn't intend to insult, if my comments were taken as such, well that's life eh?

Ians questions just rang alarm bells in my head (and I did answer the original question with my first post)...I'm genuinely concerned for his wellbeing, I've been there on three occasions when saw operators have been cut, one climber and two groundsmen, all three of whom were properly equipped and trained. I've also seen a finger sliced off and nasty chest lacerations caused by petrol hedgecutters and facial injuries caused by brushcutters. Accidents happen...but often they're unpleasant and messy so I don't apologise for speaking plainly. I'm not immune either, especially with the carving, but there are certain parameters one just doesn't break. Just the other month there was a chap who posted saying his neighbour had been seriously injured with a saw. I'll help out anyone who needs it, if anyone wants to come and learn I'm more than happy to spend the time, at no cost.

Louise pointed out that there are many who come over here and buy a chainsaw probably without previous experience of them. I guess it goes against the grain to stand up in public and say 'I want to use a chainsaw but have no idea what to do', when really that's the first thing that anybody should do before getting the chequebook out.

Chris you would have kringed at the guy who cut our pine trees down. The safety gear was heavy boots and jeans.

At one stage he was up a ladder to cut the top half of one of the trees. He was stood on the ladder, holding on with his left hand and his top handle saw was directly in front of his neck, horizontal and about a foot way!!! I took a photo of it and then went and did something else. If the saw had kicked, well you know what would have happened.

Apart from being a pillock he's one of the nicest guys you could ever meet and a real wiz as far as the garden is concerned. He doesn't speak any English, but we now have enough French, and still learning, to understand his advice. As long as it's not about a chain saw!

not a bikini - but (and I blush!) I was wearing shorts and a T-shirt - and of course ear defenders on my helmet!! :)

Oh, and I was pregnant - but it didn't show yet.

Can't get the forum to 'do' the pic - it always turns the square() into an angle () :(

Should work with C&P though... although it might not be the best advertisement... I'll never be taken seriously again! Just shows what the uninitiated will do though - in my defence it was before my 2nd (_proper_) training course!

Claude, our neighbour, was seen last year standing on a straw bale on the lifting forks of his tractor, about ten feet up, using a chainsaw to cut a mortice on a beam-end wearing just a set of blues, no helmet, safety glasses, nothing. Oh, and the tractor's motor was running. It took two days for my buttocks to unclench.

OH ME GAWD! There's so much wrong going on here HF. First, you're mixing your drinks, Husky helmet and Stihl chainsaw, a bit like chalk and cheese. Second, the teeshirt and shorts are way too loose, please take them off next time (and post piccys too). Third, that's not a very lumberjack stance, you've got too at least appear to be a hard lumberjack type. Lastly, the ladder is dirty, it could do with a polish.

Hope that helps?

They're doing a sub €100 chainsaw (thermique) in the bricos at the moment, and it comes with a spare chain, Oregan guide and all that.

If you're not going to be using the thing professionaly (it's probably quite heavy and less powerful than a decent saw) I reckon the money you'd save would allow you to budget for some proper safety gear? It comes with a one year guarantee, so at worse you get a year's chainsaw use for around €90.

I've used both a low end Stihl and cheaper saw(s) and not noticed much of a difference, chain tensioning is a pain - but I take the thing apart and clean it after a hard day's use anyhow. The cheaper (Macculloch (sp?))  saw  has an exterior fine adjustor for chain tensioning and actually seemed pretty well engineered under the casing!

As for safety, I reckon the most dangerous aspect is complacency, now whether the proper safety gear increases the likelyhood of such complacency  is something I'll be able to consider at my leisure in hospital. [8-)]

<<<As for safety, I reckon the most dangerous aspect is complacency, now whether the proper safety gear increases the likelyhood of such complacency  is something I'll be able to consider at my leisure in hospital.>>>

You're right about the complacency thing Bones, I respect them as much today as I ever have...but...you can't be complacent about knowledge you don't have in the first place.

Bit worried about the hospital reference...you haven't have you?

Superstition amongst pros says that once a saw has tasted blood it'll want more so the saw is destroyed.

I agree about the cheap stuff, MacCulloch are an excellent little saw if only to be used occasionally.

Firefox is fine I think, especially v2.0 - but Camino is good.

Use Camino. Put your photo into Photobucket (www.photobucket.com). In your album it will show 3 addresses, choose the lower one (which starts [IMG]) - copy the full address and then paste into your LF message. Easy peasy.

Post hijack alert! What on earth are you talking about Dick & Hoverfrog?

Jane, you puffed your chest out and burst forth but never backed it up? Well more a swipe and duck the rest of the 'debate'! Or was Denny pretending to be Jane, or was Jane pretending to be Denny...oh me gawd the plot gets thicker. I hope Ian chose a good chainsaw?