A native hedge?

Geranium

I'd like to plant a native hedge and would know where to start in UK. But here I am stuck! We're in the South West so plants would have to survive hot dry summers but severe winters.  Do readers have suggestions and would anyone know where I could find suppliers?

Thanks! 

Hi Geranium.

Have you tried googling 'pepinière'  + your department name?

Are you here full time? Even if the plants you buy are 'native', you'll still need to water them frequently for the first year, particularly if you plant in Spring.

I ordered hundreds of hedging plants for Autumn planting a couple of years ago from an on-line supplier, who were excellent. They sent us a great brochure, which listed the suitability of plants relating to a number of factors. 

We wiped their address out of the computer, but I can find it for you if you like.

Whereabouts in the SW are you?

If you like I can look it up for you (it got wiped off when we cleaned up the computer).

The species for a native hedge in the south west of France will be near enough the same as in the UK and will happily survive everything that the climatic conditions can currently throw at them, can't comment on what may happen in the future with climate change, so all the usual culprits, however spring is not the best time to plant, even more so if you are not there full time.

Sorry, repeated you a bit, Tresco.

Chris

No problems with that Chris, as it bears repeating.

I now resist the urge to plant shrubs in Spring, and I'm here full time. The attrition rate with Spring planting is simply too high. [:'(]

I now prepare in Spring for Autumn (if I know where I'll need things).

I like a hedge with lots of dogroses, hawthorns, blackberries for there will be plenty berries for you and the birds in the autumn, honeysuckle for its lovely scent on a summer's evening, beech, hornbeam and copper beech for the variety of greeny colours in the spring and the variety of gold/red/russet colours in the autumn. Nothing like it to please the eyes when you wander round the country lanes...

I'm thinking of planting a natural hedge too, so this is really useful information.  I'm mostly absent, so will be planting in late autumn and hoping that plants will get their roots in well enough to survive the following summer. Should be OK if I plants whips...?

I've got a 200 metre boundary to plant and have been told that you can order a mixed hedge by the metre. Anyone  got a rough idea of the cost? Hope it's OK to jump in like this with my own question.

Yes I am definitely looking for a mixed native hedge that will make a good boundary and be good for all the birds and insects too.  Tresco, thanks for your offer. I would love to know where I can buy all the saplings.  We are on the west edge of the Tarn, about half an hour from Toulouse.

Yes, I think we'll defintely be doing our planting in the autumn, but I'd like to find out about suppliers now.

[quote user="Geranium"]

Tresco, thanks for your offer. I would love to know where I can buy all the saplings.  We are on the west edge of the Tarn, about half an hour from Toulouse.[/quote]

Hi again.

The supplier we have bought from several times now, supplies bare rooted whips in Autumn for about 1E each. They are advertised as being between 80cm and 100cm in height, but some are bigger.

They are really reliable, and last time they slung in a load of extras.[:)]

There is an English language section, (which opens up in Adobe Acrobat I think) but it isn't as detailed as the main site. Also the cataologue lists a lot more plants than the site.

However, they are based in N Eastern France. I'm sure you'll be able to find somewhere nearer, but here is the site.

http://www.pepinieres-moissenot.fr/