Flame Gun

Rtony

Hello all,

I posted earlier this month asking for advice on getting rid of brambles and one member suggested using a flame gun.

Can anybody tell me if these guns are ok for large overgrown gardens, please?

Also, any advice on using/maintaining the gun would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

• 4 weeks later...
While a flame gun should burn off brambles, especially after they have died back, I'm not convinced that it will be any more than a temporary fix. I doubt it will kill the roots.

I wait the results with interest - especially whether the stuff regrows. Might need two or three years attacks.

Anyway, a big flame gun sounds like a high class boy's toy to me. I've got a little gas one which is handy for getting bonfires going and setting light to mole killer gas cartridges.

I've not tried a flame gun on brambles but have found strimming works well.  Using a special trimming blade (not the saw, not the cable but like a strip of steel with each end turned down - difficult to describe).  This special blade is used with an up and down motion rather than a sideways motion and seems to pretty well shred the brambles.

Of course it does not kill the roots.  However, after cutting then down (completely, not just back), they seem to be staying down/back and only regrowing slowly.  The slight re-growth after a year or two is very easy to chop back and they don't seem a great problem then (maybe after the 2nd cut the root die ?).

[quote user="Barkham"]I've got a little gas one which is handy for ... and setting light to mole killer gas cartridges.

[/quote]

strange that as day before yesterday I got my first ever pack of mole thingys (the ones you light) and I could not get them going and ended up getting my blowtorch out - which worked fine.  I thought the ones I go were to scare them away - but I'm happy killing them when they get close to the house.

Ian