Garden Holes!!!

maude

A very common question maude, they generally tend to be made by common voles and field voles. As their sole purpose as far as I can figure out is to be a food source for a vast number of other species, owls, snakes, foxes, weasels, pine and stone marten, birds of prey in general, badgers... the list seems endless, the cure is to let them be and serve their purpose as part of a healthy diet.

Chris

I have also been finding these holes on my land recently and wondered what they were (didn't have the nerve to put my hand down and find out!!!)  My puppy is very interested in them.  However why I am most worried is that I have a long-legged deerhound who has already broken a leg once and I am worried about him catching his leg in one of them.  I would like to fill them in with soil but don't want to hurt anything, so I just spend my time trying to steer him round where I know there is a hole.  Do they use these holes for a long time?  Can I assume that after a while they are no longer used?  Any ideas gratefully accepted.

• 2 weeks later...
Our  1/2 acre garden is infested with 'vole holes' and our deerhound/greyhound seems to relish negotiating around them.  We also have a bank infested with rabbits in whicxh he doesn't have the slightest interest but if he spots one in a neighbouring field he's gone!  Strange, it's as if he thinks that their prior occupancy gives them rights!!!