Planting onion sets

Toodlepips

Unless they are japanese onoins I would say it is too soon to plant.  Shallots are traditionally planted on Boxing day and other sets in the early spring.  Keep them cold (not frozen) and dark.

Plant 15-20cm apart in rows 30cm from each other

[quote user="andyh4"]

Unless they are japanese onoins I would say it is too soon to plant.  Shallots are traditionally planted on Boxing day and other sets in the early spring.  Keep them cold (not frozen) and dark.

Plant 15-20cm apart in rows 30cm from each other

[/quote]

I understood one could plant twice a year, once in Autumn and once in Spring - that's what my dad and granddad always did.  Also, I've seen my neighbour planting them up but can't see his spacing (and he's off hunting so I can't ask him)

Has anybody done an Autumn planting?

I started putting mine in (red and white onions, broad beans and garlic) yesterday. I have done this for the last two years and they've been great (I haven't covered them up or anything and we have gone down to minus ten degrees the last two years). I think it's good if they don't get too waterlogged, ie make sure the patch isn't too clayey or is well drained.

The garden goes mad in the spring so I figure anything I can get away with planting now is worth it and saves me time later!

As for spacing, I leave a hoe's space between the lines for easy weeding and then think about how big the bulb will be and leave just a little more than that within the rows. I have raised beds so don't need the space between rows to walk around - if you are doing long rows and need to move about within them, leave more space. Plant so just the tip is poking through the top.

Jane

In the UK I always planted onion sets around mid November for harvesting in July / August.  The theory of planting is to be able to hoe between them when fully gtrown - so 8 - 9 " apart in rows aroung 15" apart.  Onions do not like competition from weeds so keeping them clear is important also for control of pests.  Great care needs be exercised when hoeing as the leaves break so very easily which then secrete a liquid so attracting pests.  This is why I plant 15" between roes and walk up between them very gingely.

[quote user="runningdog"]Yes, I tried it in the UK but i had two problems with it.  Firstly it always seemed to be raining on the days I was allowed to plant and secondly I bought two different books on moon planting both of which gave totally different data.[/quote]

I came across that problem too!

I read up on it from quite a few different sources and then devised my own plan.

I think the waxing/waning aspect is more important than the zodiac aspect (a lot easier too!)