Jersey Royals

Gardian

I want to have a go at growing some 'first earlies' this year and a Jersey Royal type variety would be ideal.

Would I be right in thinking that Jerseys are a variety 'jealously guarded' by the Channel Island growers and only grown there commercially, a bit like Champagne for the Champennois?  Or are they in fact just one of the many varieties generally available that happen to be grown there?

Whatever, I'm not going to find any such seed potatoes for sale down here.  Any suggestions as to a good variety?

Jon ...........

Well, I actually bought a small tray of Fontenay on the market the other day - the bloke told me that they were 'earlies'.  When I got back, I looked them up in my reference book and it said that they were 'early maincrop' (hence the question), but I guess that it all rather depends on when you plant them.  Down here, we're frost-free from end-Feb, so they'll be in within the next 4-5 wks.

Anyway, thanks.  Sounds like I picked a guddun, even if only by chance. 

[quote user="mooky"]

They are also called International.

A Jersey is not a Jersey if not grown there it is the soil there that makes it a jersey.

A similar potato that can be brought in France is the Isle Noirmoutier. Vey yummy ;

[/quote]

Like Champagne then![:)]

Ile de Ré new potatoes are good too.

[quote user="Gardian"]

Jon ...........

Well, I actually bought a small tray of Fontenay on the market the other day - the bloke told me that they were 'earlies'.  When I got back, I looked them up in my reference book and it said that they were 'early maincrop' (hence the question), but I guess that it all rather depends on when you plant them.  Down here, we're frost-free from end-Feb, so they'll be in within the next 4-5 wks.

Anyway, thanks.  Sounds like I picked a guddun, even if only by chance. 

[/quote]

I put my Belles in on or about March 17th, my middle daughter's birthday AND St Patrick's day. He probably isn't, but I always think of St Patrick as being the patron saint of potatoes being as they once were the staple food for much of the population of Ireland.

This is possibly a little anorak, but there is a terribly good book called "The Potato" by a bloke called Larry Zuckerman which I would recommend to anyone remotely interested in the devine tuber.