How big a pot do I need to grow a Wisteria

Anthill

Hi everybody - this is my first post.

As my house has a full length terrace I am unable to plant a Wisteria in the ground next to the house.  I would like to plant it in a large pot but I am unsure as to how big a pot I will need.

I'm sure the advice will be "the bigger the better" but I would like to have as small a pot as I can use and still get a healthy plant.

Has anybody got any advice/ideas ?

I think the problem is that the size pot you would really need is going to be above that made like normal pots, it would have to be hand made and that puts the price into the stratosphere in some cases, could you construct a raised bed from sleepers or some such ?

You don't need to plant it next to the house  -  if training it up the house is your objective.  Simply plant it in the closest available site and lead a single stem by some suitable route to the point at which you want it to 'begin'. 

We planted one 2 yrs ago in a pot (roughly) 0.6m diam x 1m high.  The plant was then about 1.6m high.  The pot wasn't particularly expensive - maybe €50 or so.

The Wisteria is now right up the side of the house, maybe 5-6m up in places, though it hasn't flowered yet and may not for a time to come.  Does need daily watering from about this time on though.