Best place to buy trees

Rose

Hi... we want to buy some fruit trees and plant them this autumn.  I know there are a lot of plant fairs in the spring around here but are there any in the Autumn... or is that a bit daft?  If there are no plant fairs, can anyone recommend a good place to buy?  Is Desmartis near Bergerac airport a good bet?

thanks in advance [:)]

Rose, round about the feast day of St Catherine (when all French people think it's a good time to plant trees), there is a huge market in Blaye for fruit and other trees.

Blaye is really just up the road from you and St Catherine's day is the 25th of November.

Thanks Sweet... I think Blaye maybe a bit too far as we're hoping to get about 16 trees... but what you say about the date is very interesting... We'll mark that in the dairy [:D] maybe there will be something closer to home [kiss]

There's a firm called Delmas et Fils at St Capraise de Lalinde which  I think is very good. They grow the plants themselves and are helpful about growing conditions and so on.

I know it's a wide generalisation but,  except for annuals,  I haven't been happy with the plants that I've bought at plant fairs.

Hoddy

Not sure if this of any use, just over the border in Haute Vienne.

Samedi 15 et dimanche 16 novembre

Journées des pépiniéristes à Châlus
Les deux jours : exposition-vente arbres, arbustes, plantes vivaces, outillage de jardin, artisanats, métiers de bouche, automobile...
Vente de câtaignes blanchies et de cidre.
Some friends bought all their fruit trees from one of the stalls last year and they have grown really well.

• 2 weeks later...
I still think the best place to buy fruit trees in France is through Eric Dumont but at the same time the grower in our village in Foussais (85) carries an extensive stock.  At the same time I am informed that Ripaud in Cheffois (85) are wonderful but I do not have direct experience.

Thank you so much for the Eric Dumont info. We want to plant an orchard in the Jura, at 950m alt. I have written to Eric Dumont to ask if they can recommend any species for mountain areas- and they are not too far from us. Very grateful

Apparantly, if you plant a tree on St Catherine's Day (25th November), it will never fail to prosper.  I can't tell you if this is true though as I haven't done it.

By the way, us Catherines are so pious, there are two St Catherines.... The one on 25th November is the one that was nailed to a wheel, hence St Catherine's Wheels on Bonfire Night.

• 5 months later...