Garden competition

mint

Our village has a garden competition but we are too late this year to enter it as we only arrived 2 days before Christmas and are still finding out what's coming up.

However, for next year, I should like to enter the competition though OH says it's just too much hard work.

I reckon, however, that as the token foreigners, we might be able to garner some interest.

Can you please give us tips, etc for next year.....what we should do this year to prepare our garden, what to plant, what to do next winter in order to stand some chance of an honourable mention?

Now SW17, this is very unlike you to be so imprecise!

For anybody to be able to make a suggestion, they'd have to know the categories + what 'works' in your area.

If there's a category that fits though, something British would be a good laugh. I'm thinking swede / parsnips.  Yes, I know that they're obtainable here, but not run-of-the-mill.

Another thought is a really nice first early potato (growable in a dustbin) - just don't choose the dreaded Ratte!

Yes, some "exotic" veg sound good, LOL!

But, I was thinking more in terms of what we should be thinking of doing that will give a big flashy show and makes for good copy in the local rag.

I know they are keen on "greenness" and I was thinking of installing a water butt in any event.  Don't really need a composter as the farmer behind us has agreed that we could tip all our garden waste on to his land in exchange for a good bottle of whisky at Christmas.

I need a Grand Plan or a Cunning Scheme, whichever will produce results?

Yup, got that as well!

Just don't fancy putting it up and having people asking, "does the dragon live here?"[:'(]

The judging's in the summer months so all the daffodils would be gone but, hey, the leeks might make the grade?

Don't wanna grow bananas, they take up sooooo much space and become such HANDfuls!

We entered last year it's "Maison Fleuries" in this dept 36. They came to inspect during July between the big Spring show and later flowers,it was raining without much to impress,but blow me down if we didn't get 2 nd prize! They definitely like the green route with flowers to attract, bees, butterflies etc and they love the Jardin anglais look which is easy to achieve as it's a bit untidy. we were astounded with our prizes. 38 euros plus a 40 euro garden voucher, a boot bag , a fab large cyclamen and a bowl of polyanthus ( or is that polyanthi) wish I'd entered in previous years.

Also had a presentation at la salle de fète with nibbles drinks and the big cheese from the conseil genéral. They are obviously keen on encouraging gardening here!

Thanks for the encouragement, water rat.  I thought that, at the very least, planning to enter will, on its own, get us to work on the garden.

In fact, I saw a border on the BBC website called "entente cordiale" which looks very nice and could be a starting (not to say talking) point.

Yes, I think I can manage some hollyhocks and we already appear to have buddleia bushes.  So, then, some insect and bird attracting shrubs etc should do the trick?

Meanwhile, have dropped broad hints to OH to do a bit of weeding now that it's sunny and warm, no wind and nothing but sheer enjoyment out there!