Robotic mowers

Chrissie

[quote user="woolybanana"]There is a great make called "Husband"![/quote]

hmm, I have that make ... reluctant to start, makes a constant noise, needs plenty of juice, and usually conks out mid-afternoon (saying "that's flippin' exhausting, get me a beer! ), Bodywork ain't bad though ...

Our neighbour from 25 years ago had one. No idea of the make but he said it came from Israel and cost £1,000. It was brilliant to watch. If it came up against an obstacle (eg a tree) it simply turned around and went back and then came on again. If it had to do this several times before it got around the obstacle it remembered when it reached the far boundary and came back and cut the grass "behind" the obstacle. It was controlled by a wire laid around the perimeter of the lawn.

The downside was that it couldn't be left unsupervised in case young children or animals gained access but who wouldn't want to sit and watch it work all by itself?

Perhaps Wooly's idea of a husband is the best suggestion after all.  Mine is out there, in all this heat, working completely unsupervised and the dog knows to keep her distance.

I suppose I could go and watch him work but I don't want to give him an excuse to stop and chat.

Haven't used one myself but the National Trust near us in the UK has one of these http://www.husqvarna.com/uk/landowner/products/robotic-mowers/automower-305/

He's really cute and seems to be very efficient covering quite a large area. Rechargeable - he takes himeself back to his kennel to recharge as necessary. Not cheap though!