Speed limits

NickP

Well said Idun.

The germans are very narrow minded and are told what to do. And they do it. They don't seem to be able to think for themselves.

This is a very interesting article in the Guardian today. Nothing about driving...but sheds light on Carthy's behaviour. Maybe they have lived in Germany too long.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/jan/21/ai-weiwei-on-his-new-life-in-britain-germany-virtual-reality-film

He was not too impressed with Germany.

Can't make the link live but it worth copying and pasting.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]Well said Idun.

The germans are very narrow minded and are told what to do. And they do it. They don't seem to be able to think for themselves.

This is a very interesting article in the Guardian today. Nothing about driving...but sheds light on Carthy's behaviour. Maybe they have lived in Germany too long.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/jan/21/ai-weiwei-on-his-new-life-in-britain-germany-virtual-reality-film

He was not too impressed with Germany.

Can't make the link live but it worth copying and pasting.[/quote]

To be fair, I don't think a few taxi drivers in Berlin are typical of Germans in general, although they were a PITA in Mallorca with their drunken and overbearing behaviour. Even worse than the Brits.

A couple of years ago, a group of Mallorcan youths went to a town in Germany and walked around in the centre scantily dressed, singing loudly, and drinking beer out of buckets.

This attracted the attention of the police and some reporters. When they were asked what they were doing, they replied that, after seeing how Germans behaved in Mallorca, they thought that this was the expected behaviour in Germany.

Idun, your post about wandering foot drivers, which I find I can easily become if trying to stick rigidly to the speed limit ... is very apt.  Better to speed a little to overtake and get beyond the problem.   And then reduce to the correct speed, it goes without saying.  It is much easier to follow someone who is driving smoothly, even if a little below the limit, but interestingly you do not realise that, it is only when you follow the two differnt types of driver that the contrast puts it all into perspective.

What I do find is that the drivers who try not to exceed the speed limit in normal travel are unable to speed up a little to overtake any obstruction.  It is better to speed a little to get around the obstruction, be it a slow tractor, or a wandering foot car, and get out of the danger zone which is called overtaking, as soon as possible, then return to your normal speed within the limit or so for onwards driving.

Careful Judith...Cathar will put you on facebook for breaking zee law..

Going back to the German thing, they are amongst the most habitual speeders in France. that is for sure. They don't give a toss.

I don't have much time for zee Germans. They swan around Europe thinking they own the place.

Us Brits get such a bad reputation in France and elsewhere, but zee British are the best drivers in Europe. Stats prove it.

Anyone going to see JoJo rabbit when it comes out next week ?

Here is trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL4McUzXfFI

Watch the trailer, you will thank me.

Judith sounds like we drive in a similar fashion.

I have to say though, when I can I put my foot down, I do, and helas it is only 70mph in England, better than 50, but for a long journey very boring.

And this reminds me of quillan, years ago we had one of our regular disagreements, this one about driving. He reckoned that blocked upper speed limit on the cruise control would stop speeding, but my argument was that sometimes one has to drive, put one's foot down, and in fact speed to avoid  an incident.

Ofcourse, we could not agree. I'll stick with that. It has served me well so far, as everytime there will  be something different, sometimes one slows, sometimes drive faster always adapting to whatsoever is going on on the road.

Cruise control is one of my pet hates. It causes drivers to pay less attention to their driving, it causes tailgating and as pointed out above it stops drivers adjusting their speed to the actual road conditions. It’s easy to activate or deactivate but for some reason most drivers who use it want to set it and leave it set.

I use an audible bleep in my cars that warns me when I’ve exceeded the speed limit by about 10%, I find that helps me.

I use cruise control sometimes, but not the part which blocks top speed, I reckon that is really dangerous.

I will use it depending on the length of journey and the traffic conditions. When there is lots of traffic, there is no point.

I don't like speed limiters either. Dangerous things. They are for people like Cathar who can't think for themselves and like winding up in the back of a truck. .

HERE you go Nick P.

Read this..

https://auto.bfmtv.com/actualite/retour-au-90kmh-36percent-des-departements-ont-deja-dit-non-1845368.html

I told you all that the Loire is the best region in France to live.

Idun said:

but my argument was that sometimes one has to drive, put one's foot down, and in fact speed to avoid  an incident.

I totally agree Idun, and yes, sounds like we were brought up with the same teacher.

There is, of course, a total difference in driving at speed always and that done when overtaking or getting out of a jam.  And of course, I have been known to drive below the speed limit if safety precludes ... like in today's downpours ...

Laws are pretty much the same all over Europe when it comes to motorists although the "allowance" can vary i.e. amount of alcohol in your blood varies from one country to another and some have zero tolerance (some only for young drivers like Germany) while some have twice as much as another. The UK and Malta have the highest limit for DD.

Speeding, there are limits and they are put there for a reason. Briskly accelerating, exceeding the speed limit however momentarily to overtake a car that you feel is driving erratically even to the point of being dangerous is an offence in all the countries.

There is no excuse which is why a while back speed limiters were introduced so that people would pay more attention to driving their care instead of checking their speed. Over the next five years they will be fitted to all cars and will be permanently switched on.

I have no idea how it works in France but if you are caught how much over the limit will be taken into account but not the duration. If you drop a gear, put you foot to floor to get past quickly and say reach 65 in a 50k limit you may be fined more and get more points than if you went past at 60km for example.

There is no legal justification for speeding pure an simple however much you would want to find one.

If you come across one of these bad drivers you should be far enough behind him (or her) to stop safely should he./she stop abruptly. Of course unless you are very old you would have known this as part of your theory exam.

There is only one driver on here who worries me and that is you CT.

How judgemental and nitpicking...... if you are like this in real life, well, what can I say, I truly pity your entourage....... you really need to lighten up a bit.

And several boxes of wine will never be over a limit in France....... dear me, and before you start again, because I am starting to believe that you cannot help yourself...........I rarely drink, I mean, say about maximum 10 units a year, usually  a lot less. YES! I SAID A YEAR! 

Cathar......you should have watched French news today.

Endless reports about the nonsense of the 80 kph speed limit and how some departments are changing back to 90 kph and some are not. But only on the roads they manage but not the ones run by the government. Bla bla bla.

It is a mess.

Like I said right at the start of this thread 'NOBODY KNOWS IN FRANCE WHAT THE FECKING SPEED LIMIT IS ANYMORE'.

Pleeeeeeease stop talking about things you have NOOOO idea about.

You are making a fool out of yourself.

Ah so now you are adjusting your posts CT, really!!!

I know darn well that that was not what was there earlier and IF I had been 'you' probably would have copied it to check up..... but I will not start that, as that would have been weird and creepy.

I know you think that we are a band of felons, but this has to stop. There are many bad people on this planet, without having a go at a group of folk who are perfectly decent.

Idun - I was simply using DD as an example to show the variance in level across Europe for DD procecutions. Fines for speeding are the same, they vary a lot across Europe. I was also pointing out that you can drink more in the UK and drive than you can in other counties and that in some like Germany there is a zero tolerance to DD.

Now if you think I aimed that comment for some bizarre reason at you or was any way implying you drink and drive then I apologise and that was not my intention nor what I said.

Personally I don't give a toss how much you drink in a year. It is of absolutely no interest to me at all. However you also seem more than happy to admit you do speed which is something nobody can condone.

If you got stopped by any policeman in any European country for speeding and you turned round and said you only went over the limit to get past an erratic or dangerous driver you would still be fined. In some countries depending on how much faster you were going with relationship to the speed limit you could be prosecuted for dangerous driving as well which has a far harsher penalty.

Now fortunately in the UK for your first offence you may not be prosecuted but sent onto a speed awareness course. I think they are a good idea yet we don't have them in Germany. I don't know if they are available in France but certainly ALBF could do with going on one.

https://www.ndors.org.uk/courses/national-speed-awareness-course-nsac/

There is a short video about the course on the homepage as well.

Caught out, dear me, is that why you think people amend their posts.

You imply that you don't care? but it would seem you do, and care enough to be offended by everyone and everything that does not meet your

exacting standards, which are at best OTT.

This is what I mean. When somebody loses their argument they get insulting just like ALBF did early on and now yourself.

For him and his statement about nobody knows what the speed limit is in France well there are plenty of signs. With regards to is it 80 or 90 several links have been given to tell you who has what limit. It really isn't rocket science. If you are in any doubt then stick to 80. You are not obliged to travel at the maximum speed permitted on the road all the time, you can go slower.