SCAM - Heres a new one (well for me anyway)

Quillan

We use LateRooms and we have had a booking from a chap called "Sunday Olaloya" and the person who made the reservation was a "Mrs Mobolanle Adeladan". The address is in the US, has no Zip code and the country code for the phone number is for Nigeria.

I have contacted LateRooms as the phone number is not available and the email bounces as not known. It is a scam but not of the type we usually get. This woman has booked 11 nights for this chap in the cheapest room and the idea is that he can then get an entry visa using my address for the place he is staying at in France/EU. Apparently this is new to France but many hotels, Self Catering and B&B's have been caught on this one in the UK. The biggest problem of course is he will never arrive but the days are 'blocked' off and the rooms can't be reserved by another person.

[quote user="Babbles"]Tricky devils! How do you find late rooms? I thought about it a couple of years ago and it fell off my radar , but I see they're doing a lot of TV advertising and wondered if it was a good generator of leads?[/quote]

Handy for filling in odd dates but a pain because I hate filling in calenders and if you don't then you can get a booking when you are full. Their cut is around 15% which you pay monthly from the money you collect.

Anybody had this joker contact them?

Hello,

I need to make a reservation at your place for 4 persons coming to stay in your region for 16 Days, starting from 1st November till 16th November 2011. I will need to know your rates per / night for the 4 guests and i will need you to tabulate and let me know the total run-down cost for 16 Days period with tax and discounts in pounds currency, so we can arrange for payment. If you do not have availability at the time we request, please let me know when you preferably have availability to accommodate 4 Adults.

Do get back to me quickly.

regards,

Frank.

Yep, I have been 'playing' this one for over two weeks. I did get a cheque for 5,000 Euros, a Tresor Public cheque would you believe except the amount was written in English [:'(] and came from the UK. Got them to sent me another after the chap actually called me and told him to write the amount in French this time. Bit strange really as he sent a copy of his American passport and when he spoke he had a definite African voice which is outstanding as his photo is of a white American. I shall be passing it all to the Gendarmes, GB Embassy and the US Embassy when I have finished with him. If I get time I will upload the cheque so you can have a laugh.

• 2 weeks later...

hi ok

They have been busy today

Enquiry number: 5505316

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: +447900586358

Dates: 29 Oct 2011 to 12 Nov 2011

Number of guests: Adults: 4 Children: 0

Source: Holiday Lettings

Details: Dear Sir,
We have guest coming to your destination on the dates we have marked,please can you kindly let us know if you have avialability on those dates? so as to enable us proceed.
Daniels.