Introduction - Opening a Chambre d'hote

Louise

[quote user="Louise"]Hi, sorry I meant S1... they keep changing their mind what they will call it !! I am working up until the end of this month so that should be ok as a back up for the next two years. The neighbour I am thinking of is French but used to be an English teacher but I will bear in ind your point about if they get it wrong !! Its a valid one. How do they work out how much you pay up front for social security.... do they get you to predict how much you think you might earn. Do they base it on a certain occupancy % ? and then for how many months you will be open ? Do they then charge you the 20% (cant remember the exact social security calculation) on the 21% of earnings. Sorry hope that makes sense.... have read so much I am starting to confuse myself !!![/quote]

The social charges as a percentage are very high but in France, unlike the UK it calculated after your deductions where as in the UK the percentage is lower but is taken before anything else including your tax allowances.

The first two years are set sums, I can't remember the figures and they will have changed (quite a lot by now) but the Chamber of Commerce will have them.

The laws changed this year about how you pay tax etc and you may find the following link useful.

http://www.french-property.com/news/french_business/chambres_d_hotes_registration_obligations/

Thats a good article and definitly gives food for thought.... If we dont open till next summer, and Im not expecting to have guests falling through the door for the first year then we might not earn enough to reach the threshold....??? Am I right in thinking that ? Does that mean you wouldnt need to register straight away with the chamber of commerce ? A few appointments are definitly one of the first things I need to arrange when we move over I think...

Hi Louise. Just to throw one more thing into the mix so that you don't overlook it. You say 'you and your boyfriend'. The status of the relationship might have a bearing on your choice of business regime. For instance I think (could be wrong) that if one of you was to set up as AE, the other could only be a 'conjoint' if you were married or PACS'd (civil partnership). Of course your notaire will probably have flagged this up already if it's a joint property purchase.

[quote user="EuroTrash"]Hi Louise. Just to throw one more thing into the mix so that you don't overlook it. You say 'you and your boyfriend'. The status of the relationship might have a bearing on your choice of business regime. For instance I think (could be wrong) that if one of you was to set up as AE, the other could only be a 'conjoint' if you were married or PACS'd (civil partnership). Of course your notaire will probably have flagged this up already if it's a joint property purchase.[/quote]

Am covered on this one... the house is in my name and the business will be in my name. He is coming to help set i up and then I am going to send him out to work !!!!

[quote user="Louise"] He is coming to help set i up and then I am going to send him out to work !!!![/quote]

Don't underestimate the amount of work involved in running a b&b. My OH has his own business and I frequently work solo 18 hour b&b days as I do table d'hôte too and most of those 18 hours are spent on my feet. Mentally, the work is fine, easily doable... physically... my feet are knackered! And "staff" cost a lot of money in France.

[quote user="Louise"]If we dont open till next summer, and Im not expecting to have guests falling through the door for the first year...[/quote]

Well, even if the business isn't registered much in advance of opening, you'll want your website up and running from January even if you are not open for guests before June or July. You need to be visible and "there" in late winter and spring for when people start searching for and planning their summer bookings.

[quote user="Catalpa"][quote user="Louise"] He is coming to help set i up and then I am going to send him out to work !!!![/quote]
Don't underestimate the amount of work involved in running a b&b. My OH has his own business and I frequently work solo 18 hour b&b days as I do table d'hôte too and most of those 18 hours are spent on my feet. Mentally, the work is fine, easily doable... physically... my feet are knackered! And "staff" cost a lot of money in France.
[/quote]

A friend of mine, a publican back in the UK with a busy London pub, came to stay when my MIL dies to look after the place and run it for six days. When we got back he said that running his pub was easier and we haven't seen him since. In August I'm up at 06:30 and fall in to my bed at between 00:30 and 01:00 but that aside it's good fun. Whatever you do don't imagine you can hang out your sign, the guests will turn up and you can sit around chatting all day, it's not like that. It's bloody hard work and not for the feint hearted. The days of annual holidays in France will be out of the window because guess what, in France all the tourist things close at the end of September and don't open again till mid July the following year. So holidays for you will be expensive and in another part of the world if you like sunshine. [;-)]

Its ok I am under no illusion how much hard work it will be but I am prepared for it... Luckily for me too I like skiing so should be able to squeeze some time in over the winter.

As for the OH... I might let him stay at home and help me but just send him out part time to bring some extra pennies in...!!! lol

I must say though he is a much better cook than me so if we do table d'hote then he will be on cooking duty !!

looks like you are getting lots of good advice so won't wade in with our experience .just another mention about GdF. It looks like not many members here are with them, but we wouldn't survive without them. However , we are in quite an isolated, non-touristy region so you may not need them where you are. It won't cost you anything to have them visit and their advice is worthwhile.

Am being really dumb here but I dont have an insert smilie option. Above the message box where I am typing I have a box that says the subject and then above that two buttons saying post or preview ????

Below the message box is a list of smilies which say Post Icon above them but that only puts it next to the title and not in the message ????

[quote user="cooperlola"]It's under the heading "Message" and "Subject" (both in blue).  There you'll find the boxes with text size, colour, font and then "Insert Smiley" then Bold italic and underline  all come next.  Got it now?[I][/quote]

Nope.... dont have any of that ??? I know what you mean as have those options on other forums ???? Very strange I literally just have subject, message and post icon ???

[:D]Yeah...... I fixed it...... I went in to the forum tech help and someone had had the same problem before and it was to do with incompatabilty.

I went in to tools and added it to the comaptability list and its worked......[:D][:D][:)]