Guests with visitors who brought dogs

Boiling a frog

Really says it all.

Guests in gite and friends of theirs visited yesterday bringing their 2 dogs with them.The dogs were allowed to run about the garden and were in the house.The guests did not even ask if it was OK .

Do I keep quiet or tell them that the dogs should either be left at home or in the car when they visit .The friends of the gite guests only live about 5km away

I've never owned or run a Gite, but I've stayed in plenty.  I think it's outrageous that your "guests" should behave like this.  Would they do the same in a Hotel?  I doubt it.  I have a dog and he often comes with me, but, I always ask if he's welcome and what he is/isn't allowed to do.  I see it as my responsibility to treat anywhere I stay with respect and I think your guests should do the same.

I'd tell them their behaviour is unnacceptable (I'd obviously not make a very good Gite owner!!)

Good luck!

Outrageous - I don't think so, not very thoughtful perhaps. I think there is a mindset among some dog owners that means they forget some other people do not want their pets, esp as it seems the people who 'offended ' were guests. Perhaps the renters just felt embarrassed to say anything?

The T & C says dogs by prior arrangement.But that is for guests dogs not for visitors to the guests.If someone asks if dogs are accepted (and they are the renters) we ask that dogs are not allowed in bedrooms,are only allowed to roam in the courtyard,and are kept under control in the rear garden  as there are chickens and our dogs which share the large rear garden.

Also we control which type of dogs we allow.

IMHO I think you've said it all and made it very clear to your guests.  If I were staying at your gite "by prior arrangement" would make me discuss my needs/your rules about dogs, which is, I presume, exactly as you would want it.  And, its a clever way of addressing the issue I think.

Stick to your guns, you've done nothing wrong here![:D]

I can see how has this has occured, the renters probably think it was just for dogs that are staying and it probably didn't occur to them that visitors dogs would count or be a problem.

I think all that is needed is a quiet word, (after all with dogs of your own and livestock it's very reasonable )and perhaps a change to the T&C to refer to dogs on premises in general terms.

Who knows, the renters are possibly embarrased, or they may just be the sort of people who don't care - but in a way it has highlighted that your T&C's need to make your wishes a whole lot clearer. The idea of breed discrimination doesn't appeal to me much but that's probably because I have known a friendly placid Rotty and a snappy poodle - its your Gite, you get to choose [:)][:)]

So can you suggest something clearer that.

Well behaved dogs are accepted by prior arrangement.Please inform us if you wish to bring dogs  including type ,a maximum of 2 are permitted.Dogs are not allowed in the bedrooms or in the swimming pool area. They are not allowed to roam freely in the rear garden.Please clear up any mess made immediatly.Owners will be held responsable for any damage caused.

I admit that only the first part ie dogs accepted by prior arrangement are on the advert. but when someone makes an enquiry asking about dogs being acceptable we tell them the other conditions and it is then up to them whether they accept or not.

Could you put :

Well behaved dogs are accepted by prior arrangement.Please inform us if you wish to bring dogs  including type ,a maximum of 2 are permitted.Dogs are not allowed in the bedrooms or in the swimming pool area. They are not allowed to roam freely in the rear garden.Please clear up any mess made immediatly.Owners will be held responsable for any damage caused.

in the initial part, (or similar) instead of just the 'prior arrangement ' statement ?

You might also add why, your own dogs, chickens etc so that you look like a reasonable animal lover - which you are -

On the other hand, how many renters have friends with dogs nearby ? [:)]

There's absolutely no point whatsoever putting "well-behaved dogs".  Like children, everyone believes theirs are beautifully behaved.  I think for the future you have to decide whetehr you want to acept dogs or not, your message is a bit ambiguous.  By saying dogs by prior arrangement leaves it open for the less thoughtful ( read: selfish) to therefore read that as meaning it's OK to bring any dogs in at any times.  Say no pets.   I can assure you, people will still ask and at that time you can decide whether or not you want to allow that particular animal in.

Everyone is pussy-footing around the issue here.  You said no dogs unless by prior arrangement.  There was no prior arrangement, especially for visitors of the guests, so just ask them not to bring them anymore, after all, they only live down the road.  Stand by your guns, you have to learn that you can' be all things to all people in this business and you have to decide how you want to run your business and stick by that.  Are these visitors French?  If so, they probably don't even think about picking up dog pooh, so there's a nice job for you at the end of the week, or else your next visitors may have REAL cause for complaint.

When I used to rent out a gite, one couple had their daughter and husband to stay, who brought a spaniel with them.
They hadn't mentioned it before, and I only saw it because they asked me in for a drink.  It looked quiet and well-behaved.

But when I came to do the changeover I discovered that it had clearly been on one of the bedspreads, as it was covered with black hairs.  Luckily it was a sunny day, as I had to get it washed and dried in time for the next arrivals the same afternoon.

And dog p-o-o was definitely an issue, as many of my renters had young children who would toddle round the garden exploring.

I put something along the lines of "we regret, no dogs" in the Ts and Cs thereafter.

Angela