Musical Guests

Fi

Have just taken a booking for two weeks in August.  Only a couple (yippee) but, the husband plays the accordion and the violin and wants somewhere to practice during the day.  Can I decently send him up the meadow, as far away from the house as possible or is that being grumpy and unwelcoming? I will strim a path and patch to stand on for him. I could even supply a parasol to shelter him from the sun.  If he's any good I don't mind listening, but if its strangled cat time I could rapidly loose my equilibrium...

On a slightly more serious note, I will have other guests at that time.  I just hope he doesn't annoy them too much.  They do have the right to a peaceful and restful holiday (our main USP!)  I need to think of some way of asking him to have consideration for the other guests and he has to stop between 6pm and 10am.  Anyone know how to say all this in French?  My French is OK, but never had to tackle this level of diplomacy before .....

I was so thrilled when I got the booking (it has been a very, very slow first year), now I'm thinking aaargh!

Fi

Maybe you could add something relevant to your terms and conditions i.e. not to play any instruments or disturb you and your other guests between 6pm and 10am or whatever.

Moi?  I'd love to hear some music here; we only have the Village fete de la musique in July to look forward to.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Benjamin"]A friend who owns a camp site was asked if he minded a mobile home renter playing the accordion for an hour in a morning from about 10 am.

The whole camp site stopped for that hour. It was magical.

[/quote]

At least it isn't the bagpipes ...

The bagpipes are a wonderful instrument and a delight to hear. If you want a quieter one then the Northumbrian pipes have a lovely sound that won't take you off of the face of the Earth.

A wonderful sound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFYyVj6he_g&feature=related

If I had ever been able to play the pipes as well as this guy I would have been chuffed to death! Mind you I only had a year learning when I was 16 or so!

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Johns/Johninkilt.jpg[/IMG]

I managed to 'aquire' my practice chanter when I left St Athans and I still have it! Oh how I wish I could lay like that!

Oh what an asult on the ears ..........but each to his own.

"I managed to 'aquire' my practice chanter when I left St Athans and I still have it! Oh how I wish I could lay like that!"

I can "lay like that" ....easy [:P]

[quote user="Jonzjob"]The bagpipes are a wonderful instrument and a delight to hear.[/quote]That sir, is a matter of opinion, and for my own part there are few sounds so guaranteed to drive me to the edge of reason and sanity.

I think I'd rather be surrounded by squawking quadruplets on an RA flight [:'(]

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="Jonzjob"]The bagpipes are a wonderful instrument and a delight to hear.[/quote]That sir, is a matter of opinion, and for my own part there are few sounds so guaranteed to drive me to the edge of reason and sanity.

[/quote]I'm with JJ here.  Quadruplets - I think I'd jump out of the window.

If you get the chance, Jonzjob, check out the Battlefield Band's version of Bad Moon Rising - a very far cry, Ernie, from the dirgey pipes one is so often "treated" to by military bands and the like.

I agree with Coops about Battlefield Band.

Bagpipes are French too of course; the Breton pipes are closely related to the Highland pipes but have a sound of their own - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONBCAEKo8Lo though admittedly that does go on a bit.

As my signature on another forum reads - "A gentleman is somebody who knows how to play the accordion. And doesn't." [;-)]

This time of year it's the local ,big trad music festival and we always have musicians staying who feel the need to practise.

I'm always happy to hear the accordeon and the cornemeuse( small pipes) but always breathe a sigh of relief when no one turns up with a veielle ( hurdy gurdy ). Usually the non playing guests are here for the festival and appreciate the free shows!

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="Jonzjob"]The bagpipes are a wonderful instrument and a delight to hear.[/quote]That sir, is a matter of opinion, and for my own part there are few sounds so guaranteed to drive me to the edge of reason and sanity.

[/quote]

Quick!!

Where'z me pipes!![6][6][6][B]

I did find the pipes and drums at medium volume a really good way of getting guests out of bed and on their way to the airport (around 4am) in my chalet girl days.....[:D][6]