Gite keyholder/problem solver - How much €?

Clair

There's a holiday rental property with non-resident Dutch owners down the road from here.

I have been asked if I would consider acting as a key-holder / problem solver. Their previous problem solver has moved on and they need someone to explain things when guests arrive and if a problems arises.

They charge their guests a fair bit (in my opinion).

No cleaning or maintenance required. It's "just in case"...

How much should I ask for (per arrival)?

How much would you pay for peace of mind, as a gite owner?

[quote user="Clair"]How much should I ask for (per arrival)?
[/quote]

If they're charging (let's say) €500 / wk, then €50 is what I'd want for an hour of my time.

Then, as Nomoss has suggested, pro rata, but you could always be reasonable over little problems.

Take it or leave it, tell them. You could always knock it back a little bit, depending on how much you want the work / dosh. For them, the peace of mind of having somebody reliable, is worth the money I would have thought.

[quote user="Gardian"]If they're charging (let's say) €500 / wk, then €50 is what I'd want for an hour of my time.

Then, as Nomoss has suggested, pro rata, but you could always be reasonable over little problems.[/quote]

Aha! [:D] [:D] They're charging 1000€ a week in June & July and 1350€ in August, discounted for longer stays...

But I get what you and Nomoss say. Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't considered an hourly charge on top of a retainer. 

Originally, I had thought 30€ for the welcoming fee. Now I'll also consider an hourly rate for problem-solving, should the need occur.

I'm meeting them tomorrow. I'll update.

Thank you.

Clair

I would suggest that 30 euros is not enough for greeting. The reason is that you will have to wait in until they arrive. Frequently, they arrive late and, believe me, hanging around is a real nuisance.

Being on call is not easy thing either.  The problem is that when issues arrive, you have to deal with them immediately, which can be quite stressful.

Remember that guests can and do turn up several hours later than planned, you could be spending a lot of time sitting on your hands waiting for them to turn up, and I doubt if the owners will want to pay you €50 per hour to do so!

Also, how far are you willing to go regarding being on call "just in case"?

Half way through the week, you are away on a day-trip somewhere and they phone you saying the dishwasher is flooding the kitchen. Are you going to be expected to drop everything and head back to see to repairs?

We leased a premises when we started our business. The previous tenants ran a boat gardiennage, so some of their customers asked us to look after their boats, some of which were chartered. We did this for a few, thinking it would provide leads for our main engineering business.

We gave the whole idea up very soon afterwards. Without mentioning any nationalities, although I think this point may be pertinent in your case, we were personally blamed for any shortcomings or problems, and in some cases the customers demanded we refund their money. No-one ever arrived on time, or got completely lost/missed their plane/car broke down. You name it. And I swear they all tried to arrive on the same day!

If you have to call in a tradesman - plumber, electrician, etc. - who will pay them? Will they give you a cash float for such contingencies? And accept your decision to spend it?

Also, if you are going to do this "on the side", what are the implications if something you do for the tenants doesn't work out well, and they hold you responsible - will you have insurance or any protection if they get awkward?

If you want to be strictly legal you'd probably have to use cheques d'emploi, which would increase the cost, unless you already have a business which can incorporate the activity.

The job is too open ended for my liking, I'd only do it for a friend - maybe a very good one![:(]

The worst part of letting a property are the awkward clients and you are sure to get them.  The second is return on investment so I cant see how you are going to get 50€/hour without any investment other than time... Oh yes and I guess time is the third worst part of the business.

I would say that you get a fixed amount for each 'call out'... say 30€.  And it is agreed only if you are there and that you accept no responsibility.

Your duties being to provide the key, show the letting, and act as a person to call if need be.

I assume you are mostly there as that is why they are asking you in the first place, and I assume they would be happy with the no obligation as they are asking you as they do not have any more formal fall back plan.

I think it could be good for some extra cash and it may lead onto a career in 'dealing with the most obnoxious people in society'  .. meaning the scum 1% ;-)

Would I do this, I don't think so, I don't think that it would be easy money, even though it could be. Handing keys over is one thing, being available in case of problems is quite another.

If you are going to do this, it sounds like you need a good 'prime d'astreinte' as well as being paid.

What is it with guests. We always arrived on time, if anything a little early, we wouldn't expect the keys early, just let the people know that we are there and go off and do something until the time we arranged with them. And sometimes they have been delighted, as they end up with their day free instead of hanging around, as our accommodation was ready. And we always leave everywhere in at least as good a state as we find it.

After a long and frank discussion this afternoon, we agreed that I would deal with arrivals and departures only. No call-outs, no stand-by.

I'm at home (sunbathing/gardening/sleeping...) when the guests arrive at the gate from 4pm onwards; they call; I walk down the lane (3mn); we do a walk-around the property and agree the inventory; I walk home.

I'm back there at 10 on the Saturday when they're due to leave; we do a walk-around and agree the inventory; I walk home and carry on with my day until the guests arrive...

I get 60€ per Saturday, whether it's one walk up and down the lane or two.

Good negotiation? [:)]

But what happens if you are invited to a wedding or other event when guests are due to arrive? As already stated guests can be delayed and come much later than expected without letting you know. Still I expect this won't happen too often when it is really inconvenient. It's still a good deal for you so well negociated