Washing machine drum bearing

Mutiara

Hi, after waiting for several weeks now for a French artisan to come and fix our washing machine, I have now given up on him after he has let lme down twice now, so decided to attempt to replace the drum bearings myself.

Has anyone ever done this and if so is it a relatively easy job for a good DIY'er. Any tips /things I should know?

First stage for me would be to check that I can source the bearings at a reasonable price. ‘Washing Machine Bearings’ in google will pull a good number of potential sources.

Link below gives an over view of what is required.

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=155

http://www.2ndwave.co.uk/manual.html

Before shelling out on a new bearing I'd strip it down and check that the drum spindle it supports isn't damaged. On at least 2 machines I've tried to repair over the years I've found that the spindle has been turning inside a failed bearing effectively rendering the drum scrap. Depending on age and availabilty/cost of spares this could result in a scrapping of the whole machine.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi there,

Our neighbour had similar problems with his washing machine drum.

He is a competant bricoleur and was able to deal with the drum, bearings and all. He put the finished results to very good use for his Soiree Chataigner for 12 guests.

Here he is below, toasting his nuts in comfort.

Next year he may even reattach the motor, for even more spectacular results!!

[IMG]http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj247/caussenarde/roasting-his-nuts.jpg[/IMG]

It depends on what machine it is too. Years ago, I used to be a Miele service engineer working at the homes of the rich and famous ( via the tradesmans entrance of course ! ) when I was also a marathon runner ( those were the days !) but I digress..........

Some machines are a right pig to do but I have recently changed an AEG drum bearing which was a doddle although it is correct that if the drum has been noisy for some time and the spindle has worn, you may be better off scapping it! I also tried to change one once in a customers house in Moor Park ( posh UK area), and the bearing inner race had worn a groove on the spindle, and was well and truly stuck.  I cut it through with a similar tool to a dremel and was prising it off, when it exploded  and shattered the customers huge art deco mirror. [:(]

Not one of my best days I can tell you !

[quote user="Punch"]

It depends on what machine it is too. Years ago, I used to be a Miele service engineer working at the homes of the rich and famous ( via the tradesmans entrance of course ! ) when I was also a marathon runner ( those were the days !) but I digress..........

[/quote]

Come on, Punch, do tell...  Can you name names?

Sworn to secrecy I'm afraid and besides I'm going to save it all up for my memoirs ! But here are a couple of incidences that I remember well....

I was at the house of a then well known personage near Beaconsfield ( a cricketer) and as I walked pass the helicopter ( yes helicopter ! ) in the garage, I noticed  foam bubbling out into the garage from under the door. I opened the door and I tell no lies when I say the room was full from floor to the ceiling with foam bubbles! There was a new (Venezuelan or Brazilian I think) au pair who had used  washing up liquid in the machine instead of the liquid detergent which was a definete no no ! It took two hours to rinse the machine through and test it out whilst I chatted up the aupair, mainly with sign language, as she was newly arrived in the country.

Don't get me started on bra wires ... One of my favourites and a common fault of machine breakdowns . The amount of times I have removed them from washing machines - and the clients have said what on earth is that? Where did it come from ?? ( The wires come out of the bras and get stuck in the drain pumps blocking the impellers ). Do they still have wires these days ? - (It's been a long time [:D] )

A Regular well known customer of mine who was then only slightly known for her TV ads (and is now a household name -regularly on TV) went red as berry when I explained what the wire was!  She is/was also a naturist as I found out later that week . My then girlfriend worked as a lifeguard at the local pool and Tuesday night was naturists night. I used to collect her from work and what a surprise when the very week I had removed her bra wire, I saw her in the pool and realised then why she needed wires!!