Expensive Pool

Babnik

We recently went to Desjoyaux Piscines in Rochefort (17) to try and get a quote on a pool. I think I read about the company here on the forum. Anyway, they salesman seemed very disinterested at our request, and to get rid of us told us a 10x5 pool would cost in the region of €100,000. Now while I appreciate a pool will not be cheap, this seems a little too much for my taste. Anyone got any recommendations of companies who actually would like some custom!

Was there a house thrown in 'free' with that price.

It has to be a mistake. Friends pool from Desjoyeaux, last year, was 10 by 5 for one with nice curved edge and 'roman steps' and cost roughly E20,000 (not including landscaping which could add a fair whack).

Was he talking in Francs, perhaps?

Francs ? That's possible - lots of French people I know still talk in francs when it comes to big numbers - they say that they cannot visualise/understand 100,000 euros whilst they have no problem with 1,000,000 FF.

100,000 FF would be about 16,000 euros - yes ?. - That could be correct for the 'kit only' option. As a very rough guide I would double that for 'pret a plonger' and add a further 50% if you wanted one done traditionally.

Hagar

We paid around £15,000 for an in-ground 8mx4m pool, made using polystyrene lego blocks, but with an expensive liner rather than tiled wall and floor surfaces. (We are in an area affected by seismic movement.) This price included everything. The supplier was Mollina Piscines, but this build-system, as with most, has a 'network' of approved installers accessible through the web. So you could choose the type and size you want, find the licensed suppliers, and obtain quotes direct.

IN HAUTE VIENNE/CORREZE REGION PISCINE AMBIANCE DID MY WORK.THEY USE PREFABRICATED******CRETE POOL IN 6 PIECES AND USE VINYL LINER.10 BY 4.5 WITH ROMAN END COST 3 YEARS AGO225000 FRANCS.THIS INCLUDED ROMAN END,46 M2 TILES AROUND PERIMETER,LIGHTS CLEARWATER CHLORINATER,JET/MASSAGE,CYBERNAUT ROBOT CLEANER,(I NEVER DID LIKE HOOVERING),2.55 K.W. HEATER AND WINTER/SUMMER COVER WHICH TAKES WEIGHT OF YOUNG CHILD WITHOUT COLLAPSING.

IN REAL MONEY IT IS ABOUT34300EURO OR £23500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM NOT RICH NOW BUT IT WAS THE ONE LUXURY MY SON SAID I SHOULD HAVE OR HE WOULD NOT VISIT ME ON HOLIDAYS.

WELL I CANT TAKE IT WITH ME SO TO HELL I BOUGHT IT.

P.S. I HAVE NO CONNECTION WITH THE FIRM BUT GIVING YOU MY EXPERIENCE.THEY WERE A BIT MEESY WITH GROUND  WORH AND TRACTORS AS THEY DID IT IN WET MONTH OF JANUARY.

IN HAUTE VIENNE/CORREZE REGION PISCINE AMBIANCE DID MY WORK.THEY USE PREFABRICATED******CRETE POOL IN 6 PIECES AND USE VINYL LINER.10 BY 4.5 WITH ROMAN END COST 3 YEARS AGO225000 FRANCS.THIS INCLUDED ROMAN END,46 M2 TILES AROUND PERIMETER,LIGHTS CLEARWATER CHLORINATER,JET/MASSAGE,CYBERNAUT ROBOT CLEANER,(I NEVER DID LIKE HOOVERING),2.55 K.W. HEATER AND WINTER/SUMMER COVER WHICH TAKES WEIGHT OF YOUNG CHILD WITHOUT COLLAPSING.

IN REAL MONEY IT IS ABOUT34300EURO OR £23500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM NOT RICH NOW BUT IT WAS THE ONE LUXURY MY SON SAID I SHOULD HAVE OR HE WOULD NOT VISIT ME ON HOLIDAYS.

WELL I CANT TAKE IT WITH ME SO TO HELL I BOUGHT IT.

P.S. I HAVE NO CONNECTION WITH THE FIRM BUT GIVING YOU MY EXPERIENCE.THEY WERE A BIT MEESY WITH GROUND  WORH AND TRACTORS AS THEY DID IT IN WET MONTH OF JANUARY.

Yes Frenchy, but ... ... our builder (who recommended the pool people!) took on most of that that work himself. The terracing you get with the pool is hardly more than an 'apron' round the edge.

We wanted rather more than that. "Ah", said the builder, when he saw our plans originally. "You want a 'plage'"! And because it was all part of the original devi, including some landscaping works, the costs of each element of the 'landscaping' is not accurately identified. (I can give the Weblink if you'd like it, plus some other cost info).

We are certainly pleased with what we've got. We believe its very good value for money. But we've never owned a pool before so time alone will tell.

Just had a qoute for 22 K euro for a 10 x 4 fibreglass pool which includes digging the hole and suppling the pool, filtration etc. but did not include running electricity and water supplies to the pool. The company is based in Cognac the rep speaks very good english.

I will be getting a Desjoaux quote in early december, if its any good I will let you know.

Tony

I've just been back to speak to our 'friend' at Desjoyaux, and confirmed again that I don't like the guy and wouldn't buy a pool from him even if he offered it at €5000 (well maybe!!). Anyway, he confirmed his approx quote of €100,000, and he says it's because we want to have a couple of gites, and the pool then becomes a 'piscine publique', with all the rules that brings with it. Equipment for water quality, access for the handicapped, public conveniences etc etc. I still don't believe a pool should cost so much, and if it did, no one, and no gite would have a pool. Again I had the impression he doesn't want to sell. And I can't believe a pool in a small gite complex comes under the same rules as the olympic size pool in town!

Frenchy, try www.irrijardin.com where you will find just about anything you need for a pool, including build methods and cost indicators. If you connect with their site and then choose the option to order a catalogue (which they send free even though it has a small price), its quite useful to have. Ours is constructed in what calls itself 'les blocs coffreurs polysterène'.

We had a pool installed by a contractor for E28,000 - 10 x 5, Roman steps, spiffy liner, construction of concrete and reinforced blocks, concrete terrace/plage (but no tiles), landscaping (of sorts but no grass seed), fully automatic Ph and chlorine regulation and testing, free chemicals for a year, polaris automatic pool cleaner plus assorted manual pool cleaning equipment, electricity and water supply to pool and concrete block/rendered/tiled roofed pool house (2 x 2.5) for the pump/filter etc.  Seems quite reasonable now I hear what others have had quotes for and when I compare it to the quality of some other pools I have seen installed (one brand of which has been mentioned here already).  Mind you, it took AGES for it to be completed - started in March and finished (just about) end July!  Mind you, solar cover and roller was extra as was winter cover and any pool secutiry systems and "finishing" for the terrace. 

We have just had a 10 x 5 pool installed by Magiline for approx €24,000 - I say approx because I paid extra for the surround. (The hole was already dug by the way). The pool has corner Roman steps and a salt water system instead of chlorine (cost a bit extra initially but lovely to use and no testing!). The firm we used are near Cognac and I think they are a franchise. They were very quick and efficient. 

Graham

• 2 weeks later...
We are having a pool installed right now.It's about 30,000 € and includes 38 sq mtrs of plage.It is 10 x5 with Roman end,mid price liner ,solar shower,winter cover(not summer), robot. We had one done a few years ago and the price seems to have gone up a fair bit ( same company) but perhaps not too much. The company is now using the polystyrene lego bricks whereas before it used the concrete block system.We've not had a saline sytstem this time simply to save money.