Pump Capacitor

Our pool filtration is one of those monobloc systems - far from perfect, but it's what we've got and have to live with it.

The pump was clearly knackered when I re-fitted it after winterisation and so I ordered a replacement which duly arrived. I fitted it: just a humming noise from it, so juice clearly there.

A 'pool electrics' man from the dealer came out to have a look and was able to get the pump to run by giving the fan a flick!  However it would stop after 5-10 mins and he declared the pump u/s. Problem is that there's no stock at the manufacturer and it'll be 3-4 wks before they can get one to me.

Talking to an old pal in the UK, he's convinced that it's much more likely to be a problem with the capacitor and advised me to change it. Tried a couple of places locally yesterday and was only able to get one that's 12uF as opposed to the 10uF originally fitted.

Is this going to be a problem if I try it out? The place I bought it from reckoned not. My mate in the UK (typically) advised me to stand well back and check my life insurance. Help!

Pierre .............

Thanks v much for such a quick reply.

That's great - I'll get on and fit it and see what happens.  Fingers crossed that the capacitor is the problem - will post later with the outcome.

Oh well, it was worth a try.

Same situation: needs a flick to get started and cuts out after a few minutes. Looks like we'll have green soup by the time we get a replacement pump.[blink]

The shame is that the new pump is more powerful and providing a lot more 'movement' than the old design.

Thanks again for the advice Pierre. 

Throw [I]in a few small sharks to keep water circulating until pump problem solved ,then at least water will not grow algae.

WELCOME TO THE JOYS OF POOL OWNERSHIP  ,,,,,,,,   FORTUNATELY WE HAVE LOTS OF GOOD CONTIBUTERS WHO ARE VERY HELPFULL!

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]Does the pump get hot after its been running?
I'm just thinking it could be a bearing siezed up rather than an electrical fault
[/quote]

It does get hot, hence cutting out after 5-10 mins.  That's precisely my UK pal's diagnosis, but there's SFA that I can or should do about it. It's a replacement job and the supplier isn't quarrelling - the only problem is the delay.

Oh well, worse things happen at sea ............... or in a swimming pool !!

Thanks all. 

Sounds like the thermal cut out switch. I had the same problem, took the one out of the old pump I had and "hey presto", it worked for another two years, until that thermal cut out switch went, so I manged to get a couple from the manufacturer (of the thermal cut out, not the pump, they wanted to sell me a new pump!!)

New pump? 550.00 Euros, new cut out switch? 5 for 2.50E!

f1 etc .....................

I wish I knew!

The 'pump unit' is completely sealed, so there isn't anything like you're suggesting that I can change. My pals in the UK are making good suggestions: so far no good.  My French neighbour has a theory: I lost the plot after 5 mins. Need to go back to him tomorrow when he isn't knee deep in sorting out the garden for his wife that he doesn't want to do.

You may well be right.  Or it could be a tight bearing.  It might be a juice problem (my neighbour's theory). If either of the first 2, it's a replacement, but a delay.   

I reckon that each 'swim' in this pool costs me about €10.  But am I grumpy? [:'(]

The thermal cut out is not in the pump, but rather in the junction box that connects the mains electricty to the pump, usually a plastic box on the top, once the cover is off, you should see a little (mine was about 1mm x 2mm x 2mm) unit, connected by two wires to the positive and nuetral I think. It's simply a bi-metal switch, that when it get's hot, cuts the power. They can rust open or shut, and if they do, the pump can start, but wont run for long, much as you describe.

If I was at home, I could take a picture, but sadly I'm not.

Well, nearly there!

Had a call today to say that the replacement pump had been delivered to the dealer (about 10 days earlier than forecast [:)]), so picked it up and fitted it this afternoon.

It ran fine for half an hour with the covers off, so I bolted down the all-enveloping box that goes over the pump and the electrics. Fired it up again and it ran for 10 mins and cut out.  Hot - as f1steveuk said, almost certainly the thermal cutout doing it's job.

After 10 mins head scratching, I realised that a rather flimsy bit of plastic moulding that came with the pump was intended to replace the original box. The wiring will need a bit of straightforward re-plumbing and I'll do that tomorrow (it was too hot in the middle of the afternoon). The new design pump is more powerful, but also bulkier and the previously-mentioned all-enveloping box doesn't allow any air to circulate. Leaving all the covers off again allowed it to run for 5 hours until I shut it down early evening.

The 1st replacement pump had an unrelated problem, because it wouldn't work from the start.

So there we are: a rotten monobloc system, but as I said at the start, something we've just got to live with for the time being.  Thanks again to everybody for their advice and suggestions.  

[quote user="f1steveuk"]Of course you'll be keeping the old pump for spares [/quote]

Even better - neighbour Michel is going to strip it down for me when he gets time and re-con it.  It remains to be seen, but if successful, a spare up my sleeve.[:)]