Fencing for a swimming pool

nick16

We have a 10 x 5metre pool  with decking around [approx 1 metre wide].

We have an alarm for the summer and a winter cover, so we are legit.

We would like to put a fence around the pool for our peace of mind. We have a one year old grandson and another on the way.

Can anyone suggest an attractive method of fencing the pool, without spending a fortune? I have considered picket fencing, but I feel it would make the pool feel too enclosed. I want to retain an open feel about it. Railings would be good, but a local blacksmith is quoting 70euros per metre.

Any contributions gratefully received.

You could look at the rigid green covered steel vertical mesh that all of the brico sheds sell. It comes in all sorts of heights and is a lot less than your local blacksmiths devis.

It is considered secure enough to be used to fence the airport here at Carcassonne.

[quote user="steve"]if it hasnt got a sticker saying it conforms, then it wont. [/quote]

I think you may have missed the point (apologies if you didn't) that the OP has already got conforming security, this additional fencing is for his own peace of mind.  Therefore, does this additional fencing really have to conform?

• 2 years later...
Is there a definitive answer on this. We have a conforming pool (electric roller cover with pool end attachments) and want to put some safety railings on top of a retaining wall that is 1ft high on poolside, but 6ft drop on the other. Our neighbour (and maker of the railings) has said that the railings need to be over a metre high to comply, and extend round the pool?

From what I have learned over the 7 years here you need one of 4 protection methds and one only. Either a fench of 1.1 meters high that complies, an alarm that complies, an abrie that complies or a cover that complies. If you have any one of these ten you don't need anything else.

You have the complient cover and therefore you don't need anything else. You can therefore put a fence around your pool and you can make it in any way that you wish.

That is my conseption of the rule and if I were in your situation then that would satisfy me. Someone may know better, but I think that is correct.

Surely if you have a conforming pool cover then anything you do beyond that does not have to comply to anything.

Nick a winter cover is not necessarily compliant but if yours is do you think you might be worrying a bit too much ?

I believe the basic criteria is to prevent an up to 5 year old from accessing the pool so what chance a one year old who should never be out of sight anyway.

If you really do have concerns then why not put another heavy duty cover over the whole shebang nailed (not literally) down to the decking ?

EDIT: Crossed posts but saying much the same

From what I have learned over the 7 years here you need one of 4 protection methds and one only. Either a fench of 1.1 meters high that complies, an alarm that complies, an abrie that complies or a cover that complies. If you have any one of these ten you don't need anything else.

You have the complient cover and therefore you don't need anything else. You can therefore put a fence around your pool and you can make it in any way that you wish.

That is my conseption of the rule and if I were in your situation then that would satisfy me. Someone may know better, but I think that is correct.

• 1 month later...
To stick to the original question, I have a peripherique IR alarm system, plus an immersion alarm. For a temporary (5 years now) measure and to keep out deer and boar, I bunged up a 1.5 metre green link fence with padlocked gate. I have planted a hedge, a metre out from that, which once grown, will enable removal of the wire fence, although I may, move it to outside to definitely keep "dem varmints out, dag nabbit".

Rustic enough?

• 3 weeks later...

I used 2metre x1metre high trellis(about 1.5" diameter lats) folding type and attached to posts .This can be left as is or painted with wood stains or coloured breathable paint.

I painted mine green and this blends in with garden.This fence has survived 10 years now and is in need of a little touch -up soon.