Dental Treatment

Piprob

Does anyone have the French for "root filling" and an idea of what the treatment might cost. I will be returning to France in the summer - which is probably just as well because I have been quoted an unbelievable £600 here in England for the treatment I need.

Husband had some root canal treatment here about 3 years ago and it

cost 5-600euros. He did have to go for several appointments so if

you're thinking of having it done  it may be an idea  to make

appts. in advance. Pat.

I paid about 25 euros a 20  minute visite in the Haute Vienne. Versus Surbiton, Surrey equipement was everybit as up to date. Turned up having learnt the French for canines, incisors etc only to find they label they teeth by numbers. I  had a five minute discussion about social medicine and pointed out that even if they gave me a bill it was less than the National Health Service would demand as a contribution to treatment. Only major comment is that if you need emergency treatment tell the receptrionist you are in severe pain otherwise they give you an appointment in 8 days.  

A root canal filling is where the roots of "dead teeth" are filed out and filled, it saves the tooth from being extracted. This is a normal procedure in the UK and not that expensive unless you go private or have it done against medical advice.

This sort of treatment cannot be done in France on an EHIC ( old E 111) as it is not accident or emergency treatment, so unless you have health cover here then it may well cost the same as the UK.  Without knowing your residential and health care arrangements, nobody can advise you of the likely cost, but you can get a devis from your dentist.  If you are resident here and covered by a carte vitale and an adequate mutuel (top up insurance) it may well be considered as normal dental treatment and cost you nothing. 

My wife recently had a root canal and crown treatment in the Loir et Cher.  It was about 700 euro.  Security Social reimbersed about 175 euro and our top-up (mid-range) reimbersed another approximately 300 euro.  On the other hand, I had a similar treatment two years ago and the total was 85 euros. Not being a dental expert I cannot tell you if my wife got eight times the quality of care.  So, the price can vary considerably depending on the dentist's charges. My dentist did everything himself over four 30-minute appointments. My wife's dentist had two assistants in his office and did the procedure in two visits.

Thank you all for your helpful replies. When we returned to the UK last September we found National Health dentists were an extinct species. The tooth in question has already had £140 invested in it but the remaining canal could not be found. It has since announced itself! But not painfully - yet. We will probably be more or less permanent residents when we return in the summer, and will need to register with a doctor and, presumably, a dentist. It just seemed to me that £600 is a lot for what I understand is around an hour and ten minutes' work. And there are so many good reports about medical services in France. We'll soon see. I will get some quotes!