Smoking

JSA Aude

Do realise this is a very emotive subject, but am in the process of trying (v hard) to give up smoking.  I realise many people (possibly having never smoked)  will reply 'well, just stop' but easier said than done.  If anyone has any advice or pointers would be extremely grateful to hear from you.Many thanks.

Hi,

We gave up smoking (again!) from Monday; not very long I know... Previously (for around a year and a half, up to last Christmas) we also gave up smoking. Still not quite sure why I started again. Bit of a mistake.

The Boots or Nicorette (sp?) gum works well for me, I used it for the first few months, starting on the 4mg, and then the 2mg, taking less & less. I think the gum is a lot cheaper in UK (around £18 for 105 pieces) than France, but someone else might know for certain.

Day 3 is the worst for me (ooh - that's today then!). [edit - just found out it's only Tuesday today. I've only given up for a day and a bit. Why does it feel like a week then...? Doh].  Then it's just a simple task of not starting again...

It's a bit of a cliche, but I think it's important to remind yourself from time to time why you decided to stop smoking. That & the gum (almost) worked for me...!

Iain

Hi JSA,

I did that 12 years ago after 40 years of smoking.   The first attempt failed as I became depressed after 2 weeks.   The second worked as I was expecting it and told myself it would only be temporary, which it was.

Since then I have never had the fatal first one and dislike the smell so much I cannot imagine why I ever liked them.

The method that worked for me, was to buy weaker cigarettes made by silk cut and spend a week at each strength level, until I was on the white label ones which tasted like cotton wool and so when I stopped there was really nothing left to give up.

Those white label ones, if they are still available, have hardly any nicotene in them.

Good luck,

Jean-Pierre used to smoke a lot, then just suddenly decided to stop, in the end he was cutting the last cigarettes in half to make them last longer!  Then he just used will power and never smoked one again. This was several years ago and I carried on as I was not such a heavy smoker.  Then one day I saw a programme on television showing a close-up of a cigarette burning and all that smoke going inside you.  What a mad thing to do it seemed!  I then tried to convince myself that it made me feel sick until one day I just stopped too about a year or so ago.  We were both smoking Gauloises and Gitanes.  It's maybe the trying to convince yourself how awful and ridiculous it is that helps you to give it up.

In stressful moments you would love one at first, but just try to push it away and think of something else.

It's hard, but can be done, so many have done it.  Do you notice how in old films so many people are smoking... it's so different nowadays.

I wish you lots of luck - you can definitely do it ...

I had hypnosis (once) and it worked for me - all it does is help you with your desire to be healthy and free from addiction - like you were before you ever took it up.

It is also good to focus on the benefits; £, health, fitness, freedom from addiction, younger looking! etc etc.

Put the money in a separate jar each week and you'll soon wonder what to do with all the extra cash - spend it on pampering or luxuries instead!

It may help to take extra B vitamins, C vitamins, and drink lots of water, and keep cleaning your teeth to remind you that fresh breath (and whiter teeth) is one of the benefits!

In fact there isn't one good reason to smoke - as you can see I am a reformed smoker!

I found it helpful to avoid triggers that I associated with smoking such as having a cup of coffee/bars but that will soon pass once you are settled into your new habits.  In fact I didn't sit down very much at first as I felt I needed to keep busy doing stuff  - even if it was cleaning the kitchen cupboards!  Not something I feel the need to do anymore ...

I had a relapse when I thought that it would be ok to smoke on holiday - and then I read the Alan Carr book and that set me straight again.  Reading that book is a very good place to start - not sure if doctors in France offer smoking cessation classes?  Many of my friends and family no longer smoke - in fact smoking seems very archaic!

Most of all - don't think of it as giving anything up - you have just decided to stop!

Bonne chance!

[:)]

I got up one morning 8 years ago and took up a ciggie and thought, nah, I have had enough and stopped there and then! Not had a single puff since, I won't say it was easy, but, I didn't use anything to assist, just good old fashioned will power. Hubby was exactly the same the year before I quit, just lit a ciggie, took a puff, and thought, nah, no more!! I think because I wasn't motivated by lack of money to pay for them or health issues, I just didn't fancy it anymore, is why it worked! Other people I have spoken to have all said much the same thing, you need to want to quit for your own reasons and nobody else to be successful.  That said, I wish you loadsa luck in quitting, I am sure you will do it, keep[:D]

Kimberly 17

I had a friend in the States who just couldn't quit.  She was going in for major back surgery and the surgeon told her she HAD to quit first. She took Wellbutrin (bupropion) and it really helped her.  I don't know how you feel about drug treatments, but if you're having a real problem stopping, you might want to talk to your doc about it.

Good luck.  I know it's one of the most difficult things in the world to stop.

PG

I've only just given up..................and I'm desperate for a ciggy!! But i know it won't last so i just have to bear it. I gave up before with only herbal tobacco. This time i have nicorette, but have hardly had any. I'm trying not to.

The only trouble is with hindsight it seemed so easy before, so when i started again, i thought to myself i can easily quit again!

Basically it's not easy, and there is nothing that will make it easy (some things help a bit, but it's not a cigarette and that's what you want!). You just have to do it and if you want to you can!

Good luck,

Louise

(Give it a few days and i'll be preaching about how easy it is etc! There is nothing worse than an ex-smoker, when i gave up before i was such a hypocrite moaning about smelly pubs etc!)

I tried several times to stop, then one of my aunts died of lung cancer. she had been a very heavy smoker. After that I made a rule only to smoke outside. What really cracked it was when I had very bad flu and just couldn't smoke for a few days, then thought I'll try one more day.without. So it went on and eventually the craving got less and disappeared. But I won't recommend you get flu! Keep trying. Pat.

Best of luck JSA.

I stopped 15 years ago. I thought about it for a long time before I actually attempted it and by the time I was ready to try I was fully commited to stopping. If you're not absolutely sure then don't try; trying and failing would have only made me more reluctant to try the next time although I do adopt that attitude with everything I do.

I hurt, and I mean hurt, both physically and mentally for about three months after I stopped but funnily enough it's that remembering how painful it was that makes me realise I would never start smoking again.

The benefits of not smoking are legion and I'm sure I don't have to tell you but the biggest ones for me were tasting food and smelling ordinary every day things. Wonderful!

Benjamin

I gave up finally a good few years ago having stopped cigarettes then started smoking small cigars, big mistake ended back on ciggies. The hardest parts were after a meal, making a phone call and in the pub all time when I would habitually have have a fag. The way I eventually did it was not to focus on stopping smoking but becoming fit ie the positive rather than the negative. Benjamin is right its tough and it hurts.

Seems like a few folk have done it so it is possible, one day at a time is the only way at the start. 

When I'm not in France I'm in Edinburgh and the smoking ban here in Scotland has really helped people to give up here, there are some diehards (no pun intended) who still gather in groups outside pubs, offices etc to smoke.

Good luck 

I gave up a few years ago now.  I just decided one day that enough was enough.

The worse time for me was directly after a meal when I usually lit up.  I used to grab the plates and wash up!  You must keep your hands occupied!  Take up knitting, painting, whatever so you are so engrossed in that you don't have time to realise you are missing smoking.

Good news here.  It has to be passed yet but it looks like a total smoking ban in public areas from 1st September next year with a later date for pubs, cafés, disco's etc.

Imagine having to go outside to 'av a fag....in the rain....no!

I used to be a very heavy smoker (40-60 a day) and Julie was a pretty good fumeur as well. We decided to stop on the spur of the moment about 15 years ago (it was national non-smoking day, we were having a cigarette after breakfast and Julie said "Why don't we?"

Neither of us has touched one since, and smoking would probably kill us now!

We supported each other, but never let the other say "Just one won't hurt" - it will. We called ourselves non-smokers straight away.

I also collected up all our cigarettes (about 800 - we bought in bulk), lighters, lighter fuel etc, including my prized Zippos, and I took them into work, put the lot on a table in the smokers' room and told them that I didn't smoke any more and they were welcome to anything they wanted. A bit of a public statement, it really helped. We told everyone we were stopping and asked for their help - especially the smokers.

There are times when both of us wanted to smoke, but we supported each other when the worst cravings happened. unfortunately we ate a lot and put on weight, but that is not as bad as smoking, imho.

You know when it is the right time for you, and it seems to be. Just do it, and as Alexis says, if you miss it, do something else, or if all else fails, sleep!

Good luck, it takes willpower but it is worth the effort.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]

You know when it is the right time for you, and it seems to be.

[/quote]

Had my first fag at the age of 7.  Started for serious at age 16.  After Uni when I smoked all kinds of poncy pretentious stuff (even Mores) became a Marlboro man, as that was the smoke of choice at work.  Failed to give up but moved onto cheroots for a few years.  Must have been the Clint Eastwood influence.  Attempted to give up completely a few times, made bets on it etc.  Finally gave up the first New Year we were here in France.  First week was hard, then tot tempted for a couple of weeks after that, but had occcasional twinges for at least a year.  I think getting away from all the places that I associated with smoking (i.e. any pub) helped when we came here No real temptation for the past year.  No weight increase.

Good luck! [:)]

The worst bit is after eating an evening meal........................... ie. now! I could really hit something at the mo!! Ah well i'll keep sucking the lozenge................ and there's a bottle of wine in the fridge with my name on it!

Louise

Many, many thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble to write in.  Have done one day (sounds pathetic I know but whoopee!)  Please keep them coming, I'm sure maybe other folks may need suggestions (or is it just me being paranoid?  Must go to bed, early I know but can't have a you know what!

[quote user="louweezel"]    The worst bit is after eating an evening meal........................... ie. now! I could really hit something at the mo!! Ah well i'll keep sucking the lozenge................ and there's a bottle of wine in the fridge with my name on it!

Louise

[/quote]

You'll find that if you drink enough ... no, best not go there ...

I reckon the worst bit is that (for me, anyway) you don't feel any different for stopping; I mean you know why you should stop, and that if you don't the chances are -what - 60%? - that you'll die from a smoking related illness... But (and again, speaking for myself here) smells and tastes are no different (after 18 months). My breathing feels no different (although I no longer have the occasional aching in my lungs when I wake up). I notice no real change in my overall health.

Which, I s'pose is why it's important to focus on the reason you've stopped smoking. Because it would be really annoying to carry on smoking for another 10 years without problems, and then, just quickly, be diagnosed with smoking-related lung cancer.

I don't know... follow the odds I guess...

Iain

[quote user="Dick Smith"]

I also collected up all our cigarettes (about 800 - we bought in bulk), lighters, lighter fuel etc, including my prized Zippos, and I took them into work, put the lot on a table in the smokers' room and told them that I didn't smoke any more and they were welcome to anything they wanted. A bit of a public statement, it really helped.

[/quote]

That takes a lot of will power Dick - 'fraid I was one of those who had to finish the packet first - so i didn't 'waste'  them!  Looking back i'm not sure what the heck I thought I was wasting.  But I agree - it is a mindset thing and telling others is a big hurdle - and a support.

Kathie

It has got to be different for different people. Smoking can become part habit. One thing I have found (personally) is that it is difficult/impossible to give up when you have been persuaded/pressured into giving up. To succeed you have to really want to give-up. The stronger your urge to give-up, the easier it will probably be.

When I gave up (from 20 per day + a few other things) it was not too difficult as I decided to give-up for my own reasons (i.e. not anybody else's) and was thus well motivated.

What helped me was to look at specific times you used to have cigarettes. I used to find a fair amount of my smoking was at regular times each day (e.g. in the car on the way to work a couple, walking the dog a couple, etc.). Then either change what you do when or find something else to do at that time. For example, I used to smoke whilst walking the dog - so I started training the dog more on walks thus having something else to do rather than just wishing for a cigarette. If e.g. you used sit down after dinner and have a cigarette, try doing something else at that time (e.g. go out for a walk, tidy the house, etc.). Sometimes doing something different can help you not notice you don't have a cigarette. Some activities are easier to change than others (difficult to find something else to do whilst driving into work !!.

Ian

[quote user="JSA Aude"]Have done one day (sounds pathetic I know but whoopee!) [/quote]

It doesn't sound pathetic at all!  Doing one day was what most helped me (although the patches, the gum, the rages, the eating, the mints, etc. helped also).  I just tried to get through one day at a time.  I don't know who gave me the advice but it has worked so far (3 years 332 days 7 hours and counting - I don't even think about it now!).  My aim was to go to bed each night not having smoked that day.  I didn't worry about the next day until it arrived.  I also allowed myself little treats every now and then - nothing extravagant but a little reward for being so good!

Good luck - you will feel better soon although then the worry about why you were so stupid for so long kicks in.

Just get to bedtime!

I tried everything, patches, gums etc.  Finally decided to stop on No Smoking Day and just did.  My advice would be to plan a date and get rid of anything that refers to smoking, ashtrays, lighters.  I didnt use any aids except ordinary chewing gum and I got through quite a few pen tops.  I don't know what made this time different but I told myself that I was not having a ciggie today, then told myself the same thing again the next day.  That was nearly 14 years ago.  What a relief not to be dependant on something so stupid and expensive too.  It was the best thing I ever did.

I am gearing up to quit again... somehow my life just seems to take a down turn each time I do quit. But I do want to quit smoking since quite frankly I am getting sick of the ash, and nicotine cravings and in general it isnt becoming any easier to smoke...

Also need to cut back on alcohol.

B..........  !!  Cracked and had three yesterday, was fine until the evening.  Fatal mistake was loosening my brain cells with a couple of glasses of wine, didn't seem quite right not to have a ciggie with it.  Learnt that lesson now, just a glass with dinner and nothing else!!  Poor dog doesn't know what has happened, she's never had as many walks and is looking increasingly fed up having to accompany me everytime I need an escape!