2 for 1 Glasses Offers

Sharkster

I have been looking at the 2 for 1 offers and have been told instore at Vision Plus, the cost includes lenses etc.  So I can get two pairs of childrens glasses for 120 euros including lenses.  Does this sound right?  Is there some catch as the glasses I will need have different strength lenses in each side.  I thought when we bought my sons first glasses I had to pay for the frames and then the lenses on top.  Any ideas?

Hi Sharkster,

I don't know about Vision Plus but we have used our local Optic 2000 for our son's glasses. They offer a two-for one deal and it definitely includes lenses (he has the same strength lenses but check, I am sure different strengths would be covered). The good thing about them is that they mentioned the two-for-one offer when we first went and we explained that it was silly to get two pairs as our son's prescription tends to change every 3-6 months (the glasses are correctional). So they made a note that we had one free pair owed to us and when we went back a few months later with a new prescription (different strength lenses) they gave us this pair free. So the total cost, for two pairs of glasses, was 95 euros, and the service was great.

I imagine Vision Plus and other companies run a similar deal. You need to ask them though, to clarify whether lenses and indeed different strenghth lenses are covered in the deal,

Regards,

Jane

We used Optic 2000 for our son's first pair of glasses and I have to second their service.  They have the best customer service I have ever received in a shop or anywhere for that matter.  The only reason I looked at Vision Plus is that we have a voucher for 30 euros off 150.  I will see what the deal is with Optic 2000 tomorrow as if we can get 2 pairs for 95 euros then we do not have to pay anything since the total cost would be covered through CPAM and insurance

However, this will all be changing  in the next year so I was told in the opticiens a few weeks ago and they were busy having the eye examination equipment being installed ready. Currently you can only get an opticien to give you an eye exam for a prescription for glasses with a disclaimer from your usual Opthalmologiste in case of any unseen medical or eye problems that might be missed and for your health insurance to refund the costs. I have just beeninto all this palaver as I am having to wait six months for an eye test and its the same all over the region - not enough students spending the eleven years of study for the profession and more and more folks needing eye tests and cataract jobs doing.

[quote user="ninahookins"]

Am I right in saying that to buy glasses in france you need an appointment with an opthamologist first in order to obtain a prescription then go for an appointment at the opticans.[/quote]

I, and several people I know have had glasses made up here, very succesfully, with UK prescriptions. The format of the prescription seems to be universal.  The downside is that you don't get anything reimbursed by CPAM.

• 2 weeks later...
Yep, I just turned up offered my 'script' and got my 2 pairs from Optic 2000, no further test -maybe it depends on your eye problem / age/ how long ago your last test was?.  Great service from the deux mille team too. 

As  am going to the UK soon I shall get my eyes tested there for about £20 I understand and bring the papers back for my usual opticien to use for future contact lenses and glasses. I checked with him yesterday that the prescription would be acceptable here and he thought it was an excellent idea as the waiting list for the opthal is now running at 7 months in this area. The only thing is that I cannot get refunded on my french healthcare but its worth it.

Val, take a look around some of the UK freebie websites , I printed off a voucher from one that gave me a half price eye test at a very reputable high stret opticians (cost was around £15.00, opposed to £30...) and very thorough, it took nearly an hour. pm me for more details if interested.

I have found that unless you have th top of the range top up cover you only get a few pounds back anyway from them and CPAM also only give a few quid back too  ( I wonder why it works like that when you get everything back from the dentist)

I couln't get 2 for one at either the 2 places mentioned as my prescription is too complex.

But when I visited one of the other chains in France they quoted me for their own brand , I asked for Zeiss (which I have worn for years and should own shares in them by now!) and the price was half of the stores own and less than I paid for my last pair 4 years ago in the UK[blink]