Re: Carte Vitale

Carina

Will makes a very good point.  Some of the hospital costs in particular can be scary.  There was a recent example on here of somebody without top-up cover whose personal bill (after basic cover through the CPAM stystem) ran into thousands.  A friend of mine who came here uninsured on holiday, spent a week in hospital and was out of pocket by a couple of thousand pounds.  Exclusive Healthcare are quite reasonable but even they cost us around 100 euros a month for 300% cover. The costs for cover being quoted here seem very low to me.  Take care that you won't end up with some scary bills if the worst happens.  You may be in good health but what if you break your leg?  Radiography, Physio, etc, etc plus the hospital bills, would all have to be paid for and accidents do happen.

I   understood that if your doctor was 'conventionne' the fee was fixed at 21 euros.  I have had three different doctors as I have moved to different regions of France and they have all charged the same.

I am surprised that someone on holiday here had a big bill.  My daughter came to visit me  shortly after having had an operation for cervical cancer in the UK.  She began to bleed heavily and I rang my doctor and the ambulance. The ambulance arrived at my remote chalet up in the Pyrenees within 20 minutes and the paramedics stabilised her before the doctor arrived.  They then rang for a helicopter which came within the half hour and air lifted her to Carcassonne hospital.  I followed in my car and we were given a private room with bathroom and  a little bed for me.  She was treated immediately and they were disgusted with the way she had been left by the UK hospital.   She stayed in overnight and next morning we had breakfast and lunch brought to us.  I expected an enormous bill, but all they charged us was 21 euros for my meals!  She did not have the correct E111 with her, and in the panic I even forgot to take her passport to the hospital, but I took it to them the next day.  We could not have wished for better service.

• 6 months later...

Hi Ron, I am so very confused about the health issue that I have resorted to reading posts this far back !

I have assumed that as myself and my husband who are in our early fifties, early retired, small private pension, not working in france and came here on a permanent basis in May of this year will have to take out private health insurance when our E106 runs out in January 2009.

When we arrived we went immediately to our local CPAM office and within a couple of weeks received our security social numbers and our carte vitales.

What I now question from reading these posts is are we part in the system as we have the carte vitales or do we have to give the carte vitale back when our E106 runs out in 2009 and take out 100% private health for 3.5 years and then start the process again of applying for the CV to enter the system fully?

Thanks in advance.......totally confused !!

You are "in the system", but not in the CMU. Before the changes you applied to join the CMU when your E106 ran out and you then paid a contribution of 8% of your income. This has now changed. If the rumours are correct those already in the CMU may be allowed to stay in. As it stands at the moment at the end of your E106 you will have to find private health insurance.

regards

Lisa