E106 runs out in Jan

Doodle

Get your letter of refusal to renew the E106, and take that to your CPAM office. As you were in the French system before November 2007, your affiliation should continue. Although, as you say, you will be expected to contribute, it should be less than the cost of the alternative. i.e. full private health assurance.

You were in the system in the cut off period November 2007.  I don't see any problem with continuing with CPAM/CMU.

You will need to get the usual form from Newcastle, to say you are no longer entitled to a E106, then submit that to CPAM with all the rest of the documents they require, lots of info on this forum.

Make sure when you go to CPAM with your refusal letters you take a copy of the change in law with you as not all the staff are familiar with the law. You will find it here http://www.securite-sociale.fr/comprendre/europe/europe/cmu_inactifs.htm in the conditions number 6 is what you want to show them which states if you were here before the 23rd Nov 2007 and had an E106 you can stay in the system, there are no other conditions.

You will need to take an EDF Bill, passports for ID and your tax form and Tax bill of you have one.

Good Luck

[quote user="Kylie"]

Make sure when you go to CPAM with your refusal letters you take a copy of the change in law with you as not all the staff are familiar with the law. You will find it here http://www.securite-sociale.fr/comprendre/europe/europe/cmu_inactifs.htm in the conditions number 6 is what you want to show them which states if you were here before the 23rd Nov 2007 and had an E106 you can stay in the system, there are no other conditions.

You will need to take an EDF Bill, passports for ID and your tax form and Tax bill if you have one.  plus original birth and marriage certificates[I]

Good Luck

[/quote]

Simplest way is to write to your CPAM pointing out that your E106 is due to expire and according to Circulaire No DSS/DACI/2007/418 of 23 November 2007 you now have the right to couverture maladie universelle.  Enclose the DWP refusal letter and ask them to send you an application form for CMU together with a list of supporting documents they may require.

Your existing insurance cover will be maintained whilst they process your new application.

We're still having fun and games with our local CPAM office in Tulle.

Our E106 expires in January - we've been resident since March 2007 and are in the French tax system.

A few weeks ago, armed with a sheaf of documents to prove our case, when we went to ask about CMU affiliation post-E106, we were told we needed a letter of refusal from the UK, and told to return to the CPAM office with it.  We finally got this letter from Newcastle (copies in French and English), and returned to the CPAM office once more, with just about every document we could think of.  The assistant hummed and ha'd, and finally sent us back home with an application form, and a list of required evidential documents.  Had she done that on the FIRST visit, we could have returned with the form duly completed, with everything else that was required, and saved a journey.  Although they haven't refused us, they don't half make things difficult!

But there is one question maybe an informed forum member could help us with:

They are asking for proof of all income (in our case, a company pension & savings interest) for 2008 (e.g. P60).  Obviously this won't be available until April, so what have others done in this situation?  I suppose the same applies to interest, etc.  The French tax year seems to run January - December, and that of the UK April - March, so how do we obtain accurate figures for this year, when we really need this CMU affiliation by January?  Can we estimate? Will they accept monthly pension statements (only 11 so far this year)?

Thanks for any pointers

Chris

We're still having fun and games with our local CPAM office in Tulle.

Our E106 expires in January - we've been resident since March 2007 and are in the French tax system.

Chris

If you have been resident since March 2007 you should have completed a French Tax return in April 2008 detailing your worldwide income for the year 2007.

You would then have received in August/Sept  your Avis de imposition with your revenu fiscal de reference which is what the CPAM are looking for.

I suspect they've asked you for your 2008 tax avis - which covers your 2007 income.  CMU contributions are always based on the previous years income for which they need your current year's tax avis.  That's why the annual CMU review is held in September - after everyone's has received their tax avis.

We rang the CPAM English-speaking help line about this, to try and establish exactly what was required.

They said that we had to provide statements from the last 2 years for ALL the bank accounts we had in the UK and France. Quite frankly, this is getting a bit daft, now (anyone else had to do this?).  We want to join CMU, we're straightforward and honest and quite happy to pay for the privilege, but obstacles seem to be placed in the way of us giving them our money!  At the end of the conversation, the lady rather huffily suggested that if we didn't wish to comply, we could get ourselves privately insured!  We didn't go through hoops like this to become established in the French tax system, and payment to which was a comparative doddle.

Do they make it up as they go along, or is there a competition to see who can screw up the Brits most effectively?

Chris

My Centre d'Impôts have happily accepted a letter from my pension provider detailing the amount of pension paid and (because it is taxed in UK) tax withheld in the previous calendar year.  Because of the difference in financial year they send me a letter each year.

Perhaps you could ask for a similar statement.

Also the Cd'I were happy to accept the letter in English.

Hope that helps.

We rang the CPAM English-speaking help line about this, to try and establish exactly what was required.

They said that we had to provide statements from the last 2 years for ALL the bank accounts we had in the UK and France. Quite frankly, this is getting a bit daft, now (anyone else had to do this?).  We want to join CMU, we're straightforward and honest and quite happy to pay for the privilege, but obstacles seem to be placed in the way of us giving them our money!  At the end of the conversation, the lady rather huffily suggested that if we didn't wish to comply, we could get ourselves privately insured!  We didn't go through hoops like this to become established in the French tax system, and payment to which was a comparative doddle.

Do they make it up as they go along, or is there a competition to see who can screw up the Brits most effectively?

Chris

Unfortunatly ,you may be suffering the backlash against many Brits who declare on this and other forums as well as to CPAM and  the Impots that they have little or no income even tho they are living in large houses driving new luxury cars and dining out several times a week.

The French authorities have started to crack down on these fraudulent declarations and are demanding more and more proof of just how people are able to fund their lifestyle.

Having said all that I would complete the form

http://www.ameli.fr/fileadmin/user_upload/formulaires/S3710.pdf

and take that along with your passports, electricity bill avis d,impots for 2007 and carte vitale to CPAM.and see what they say

I personally have not much faith in the  english speaking help line . To me they are as bad as many of the non english speaking fonctionnaires, who will never admit to not knowing the answer  

One of the disadvantages of turning up at a CPAM with armfuls of potentially unnecessary foreign documentation is that very often the clerk will ask for copies of these 'just in case we require them'.  This can be an issue in those offices which are not used to dealing with expats.

The simplest way is to do what the French would do  -  download the application form via BaF's link then just follow the instructions which tell you to complete the form with your personal details and your revenu fiscal de reference (that's all that's required), then sign it and send it in with the specified documents.  You can even draft a covering letter along the lines of 'Here is the CMU application form duly completed and signed.  The form requests that I provide you with a number of supporting documents and these are duly enclosed as instructed'.

Keep it simple - I've done four renewals to date this way and never had a squeek from them....

We went along to our CPAM in St Gaudens armed with all the documentation recommended on the Changes to Healthcare website, as well as copy of letter from French Health Minister and our Avis D'Impot for this year.   The lady took copies of everything and advised that we would not hear anything until after 2 Jan 09 when E106 expires and our Carte Vitale would be updated next time we used it.  We are expecting a bill for the Cotisations sometime in the New Year and keeping our fingers crossed that all goes through ok.  Have to say we did not meet any resistance at St Gaudens and were not asked for any further info/documents even though our income is UK based and UK taxed.  So far they seem to have accepted the information confirmed by our French Avis D'Impot.

Hi all, just to let you know that the letter from newcastle arrived on wednesday so obviously not too much of a backlog as previously thought. We printed off the form someone kindly led us to by a link on this section but interestingly yesterday we both received letters froml'assurance maladie saying our protection sociale was assured until 03/01/09 but now is no more after this date. We now have to tell them our situation.

My wife's letter not mine has an extra sentence added as follows:

Veuillez nous retourner l'imprime ci joint complete et signe, tous les justificatifs de l'annee 2007 ainsi que l'avis d'imposition des revenus de l'annee 2007 (I think someone on this page said they were asked for 2008 figures) and with my wife's letter is enclosed the forms CMU Protection de base and Remboursements pour un beneficiaire sans protection sociale personnelle and the Remboursements and conjoint underneath have been marked with a yellow highlighter. I only received the letter no forms.

Can anyone enlighten as to why my wife has received the forms - or am I just reading something into nothing. Also is the second form cover whilst we are without our CV as the letter asks us to post them back with the forms.

Sorry I've written a book here but I'm trying to get things done right the first time around!

many thanks in advance.......nigs

Haven't read the first pages of this thread so, sorry if i have missed something here.

Just thought your wife didnt receive the extra sentence because perhaps she is "piggybacking" on to your health cover, ie she is covered because she is your wife and you are covered.

That's what happened to us.

I am confused (but then again that is easily done)

What second form are you talking about, I can see no reference to a second form in your post.

Is the form that you received from CPAM the same as the form  that you downloaded from internet ie application for CMU B

If so you complete one of the application forms and send it in you do not have any cover until you do and until you are accepted

Have not a clue why your wife has the additional bit on the letter unless you were benifiting from her E106 or she will reach pensionable age before you

It sounds like the form you have received is the standard application form for CMU de base - the same one that BaF suggested you download.  

Just fill it in with all your personal details and enter your revenu fiscal de reference then sign it.

They are also asking you to supply your avis d'imposition des revenus de l'année 2007 - that's your 2008 tax avis, ie the one you've just received this autumn based on your 2007 income which you declared in May 2008.

Hi boiling frog, the second form is: 'Remboursement Pour Un Beneficiaire Sans Protection Social Personnelle' which I'm guessing covers us whilst we are in/out of the system.

I reach pensionable age before my wife - can't think why I would be benefiting from her 106. Nigs

Thanks SD are off to the CPAM office tomorrow taking with us everything we can think of but keeping it all under cover! Hopefully whatever they ask for we will be able to produce and they will be so impressed it will all be a doddle! (in my dreams). Thanks for the reply. Nigs

[quote user="knee gel"]Hi boiling frog, the second form is: 'Remboursement Pour Un Beneficiaire Sans Protection Social Personnelle' which I'm guessing covers us whilst we are in/out of the system. I reach pensionable age before my wife - can't think why I would be benefiting from her 106. Nigs[/quote]

What it is saying is that your wife will have no cover in her own right but will be a beneficiary on your cover