Proposed healthcare in UK from 2015

minnie

I believe that the latest position is that immediate emergency care as for an accident of heart attack etc will still be free for everybody.

Follow up treatment is what may be charged for according to circumstances.

I would certainly have to use my CEAM card (the equivalent of the EHIC for those covered by France)

Once no longer resident in the UK I don't think I am entitled to free NHS treatment even now before the changes, although I might not be challenged as I come across as a native when I speak English[:)]

[quote user="woolybanana"]My take on this is that Brits who live abroad and who have been abroad for a while, and who do not really have strong links with the YewKay are being treated as foreigners.[/quote]

If I understand it correctly that isn't what it seems to say in the link, but it looks as if they are just at consultation stage at present

If you have an S1 registered with the French authorities then you should also have a UK issued EHIC, which will allow you reciprocal access to the NHS whilst visiting the UK. This is an extract of a mail received from the Overseas Healthcare Team in Newcastle:

"The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is used to obtain state
healthcare when visiting European Community Member States outside of
the one in which you reside.

People who reside in another European Union (EU) Member State may only
qualify for a British EHIC if they receive state healthcare at the
expense of the United Kingdom (UK) under the European Reciprocal
Health Arrangements.

This means that if you live in France you must have an S1 form
registered with the   French Social Security to receive   State
healthcare."

As far as I can tell, the UK want to charge people who do not reside in the UK but visit specifically for healthcare treatment, and/or who do not have any healthcare cover in their country of residence. So for example, people who have moved to another EU country, not registered for healthcare and so do not have any reciprocal cover.

[quote user="Russethouse"]Haven't you ever paid NI for 7 years ?[/quote]

That has no bearing as far as I know.

Once you no longer reside in the UK you no longer have the right to NHS treatment as you are not 'habitually resident'.

In the case of British immigrants to France who have health care here paid for by the UK under an S1 that leads to the rather roundabout situation where the UK pays itself via the S1 and the EHIC card . (of course in practise many people who have moved to France may well 'forget' to mention the fact if they find themselves needing treatment while visiting the UK, but I believe I am right in principle)

In my case I do not have an S1 and France pays for my healthcare so I have its CEAM card to cover me in the UK

On the link I gave from the BBC website it says 'Also 'Allowing anyone living abroad who has paid National Insurance for at least seven years in the past to get free treatment while on UK visits'

That's why I asked.....

It sounds as if there is someway to go with this legislation yet.....so who knows how it will end up!

From the BBC web site:

The consultation document, published on Wednesday, outlines proposals aimed at cutting the cost of migrants' NHS healthcare in England.

They include:

Restricting free treatment for people from outside the European Economic Area citizens to those with indefinite leave to remain in the UK

Allowing anyone living abroad who has paid National Insurance for at least seven years in the past to get free treatment while on UK visits

A "health levy" on migrants from outside the EEA staying for up to five years of at least £200 a year - unless they have private health cover

Improving how non-EEA short-term visitors are identified and charged for hospital treatment

Extending hospital charges to GP practices and other NHS treatment for non-permanent residents

Treatment for infectious diseases and sexually transmitted infections to remain free for all

Improving current "flawed" systems for enforcing current charging rules

Considering sharing personal information relevant to NHS charges between the NHS, government departments and other agencies

U

Norman wrote '' In the case of British immigrants to France who have health care here paid for by the UK under an S1 that leads to the rather roundabout situation where the UK pays itself via the S1 and the EHIC card . (of course in practise many people who have moved to France may well 'forget' to mention the fact if they find themselves needing treatment while visiting the UK, but I believe I am right in principle) ''

That is also my interpretation.

My EHIC is issued by the UK and it is stated by the UK that it is for use in all EU countries EXCEPT France.

In terms of the roundabout situation mentioned by Norman it would seem irrelevant whether people ''forget'' or not - the UK is paying either way.

[quote user="Russethouse"]Tina, in the link I gave it specifically talks about people outside the EU.....[/quote]

Sorry Russethouse - I had just read an article from the Con*xion which was being discussed on another place. That one specifically mentioned expats in France so I must have mixed up the 2 articles . . .

My understanding is that the UK government want to give UK retirees with an S1 living in the EU, the option to return to the UK for health care, as that could be a more cost effective than reimbursing other EU countries for UK retirees health care costs.

At the same time the S1 will no longer be made available to early reirees.

I think April has been given as the possible introduction date?