Doliprane/ Paracetamol

woolybanana

There are some medicines that Pharmacies will only give out once a month even if the prescription is for longer.

In this case you have to go back three times and each time get the prescription stamped to show you have  had that month's worth.

This is the case with the anti-coagulants that I take.

Don't get me started! I've got to have a bone graft prior to a dental implant next week. I received a prescription from the dentist a..ok the antibiotics from the day before I get.. but a mouthwash, a spray and a prescription for doliprane? Give me a break. I have loads of paracetamol purchased from UK at 16 for 8 tablets, so even if I were to get this prescription filled and reimbursed it is still cheaper to take my own. The other interesting thing was that the dentist prescribed 500mg 3 times a day, which is half the recommended dose and not like to make much of a difference to the pain.

Lindal1000,

The standard maximum daily dose of paracetamol is 500mg 4xday. The problem with paracetamol (or acetaminophen as we are supposed to call it now for prescription purposes although I'm not sure anyone does) is that even a small overdose can do irreparable and sometimes fatal liver damage.

Also don't be tempted to use an NSAID such as aspirin or ibuprofen immediately pre- or post-op. They affect the way a wound seals itself and can cause prolonged bleeding.

As a complete aside for info - don't use paracetamol in a suicide bid. There is no antidote and a long, painful death from liver failure is unlikely to improve one's well-being.

TBH if it were released today I'm sure it would be prescription only.

Oh, yes. An antibacterial mouthwash such as Corsodyl is a good idea as it reduces the bacterial load in the mouth and reduces the risk of post-op infection.

[quote user="JSKS"]

As a complete aside for info - don't use paracetamol in a suicide bid. There is no antidote and a long, painful death from liver failure is unlikely to improve one's well-being. [/quote]

OK, I'll bear that in mind next time I consider it [Www][Www][:-))]

lindal1000, if it's not too much to ask, could you possibly post something about the dental implant, after you have had it?  Or, of course, PM me if you don't want to reveal all on here?

This is because I have been considering having 2 implants for over a year now and I am still "thinking about it"[:(]

Firstly, I was worried about the cost (but that's no longer a valid reason as I could well afford it now) and secondly, I am terrified of the associated pain.

Any info from ah..............the horse's mouth, as it were, would be most helpful[:D]

Many, many thanks!

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="JSKS"]

The standard maximum daily dose of paracetamol is 500mg 4xday. [/quote]

It is accepted to be 4 x 1g daily as here :

http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/paracetamol

If the max were 500mg x 4 then I would have long since departed this mortal coil.

Sue

[/quote]

Quite correct. My post should have said 2x500mg qds. But cut me some slack - the last prescription I wrote was 7 years ago!

Lindal1000

See preceding post. Max 4 gm/day usually as 2x500 mg 4xday.

IMO a better altermative is codeine phosphate 30 mg + paracetamol 500 mg, 2 tabs 4xday for the first 2 post-op days. Marketed as cocodamol 30/500 in UK and prescription only. Not only a better painkiller but will make you feel serenely drowsy for 48 hrs!

Post-op pain from dental implants is not a huge problem with most people just having a tender, bruised feeling rather than hold-your-head-in-your-hands pain. Especially if oral hygiene pre- and post-op is of a high standard.

I was an oral and maxillo-facial (sometimes called cranio-facial) surgeon and have some experience of such things.

I had a couple of problems with my implants and one had to be removed before it was completed. Don't worry though it was because there was a long standing slight infection under it. Once that was sorted ther were no problems.

Be awaire that codene/paracetomol can make you constipated and if you do have to take them for any length of time, as I did due to that infection, iy can get very uncomfortable [:-))]

Thanks all. I have tried co-codamyl and it did work but left me feeling rather sick..so only in dire need I think. Just having the extraction and the bone graft this time . Have to wait 6 months for the implant. The dentist's very special 3D computerized scanning machine showed that I seem to have had an infection for years that has destroyed too much bone. Graft is with a mixture of synthetic bone and cells from my own plasma. Funny though as have never really had much pain from it and only really knew I had a problem when I developed a fissure on the outside of my gum. Was quite impressed with what was available in this little local surgery in the middle of nowhere. 3D xray for 100euros, bone graft is costing 400.

SIX MONTHS to wait!  o la la...................!

And me such a little coward!!!!!!!  Will I cope? Can I stand the pain and discomfort?  Will poor OH have to listen to me moaning and groaning for SIX whole months?  Will he leave home through sheer boredom?!

Will I be better off with the less glamorous-sounding but less hassle DENTURES???

Hm, do they really sound better being called prostheses?[:-))]