S1 after Brexit

Cathar Tours

Spoke to my father tonight and he was very excited. He tells me that everything is OK re his S1 and that a law had been passed in the UK parliament to continue paying the EU for the healthcare of S1 and/or EHIC holders. Wasn't some bloke in the pub this time but a woman he met in the local supermarket.

He is sort of right in that indeed a law has been pasted a couple of weeks back but that's about it.

First I found this.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Brexit/Britain-offers-to-maintain-health-payments-to-expat-pensioners

As I have a distrust of newspapers I went looking for this "law" and found it.

Basically it is to give the Secretary of State the power to negotiate a reciprocal healthcare agreement with the EU with or without any Brexit agreement, something it appears he/she can't do at present. Here is a link to what I found.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/2017-2019/0279/en/180279en03.htm

Interestingly there is a table in the link that says how many Brits have S1's. The interesting bit comes when you compare it with list from ONS of how many Brits (believe) live in each EU country.

As an example there are 96.2k Brits in Germany yet only 2.8k hold S1's (2.91%). In Spain there are 308.8k with only 67k with S1's (21.7%) and in France there are 157k with only 41k (26.11%) with S1's.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/articles/whatinformationisthereonbritishmigrantslivingineurope/jan2017

These figures of course only apply to S1 holders and does not in anyway reflect those that have taken early retirement and are not currently eligible for an S1 nor that some are not of UK retirement age but have an S1 on the back of their wife or husband who is of retirement age.

I'm not passing any comment on these numbers other than it's interesting.

Just a note .. but I could only read your post by virtue of clicking on reply .. this is possibly smthg to do with use of an overlong url .. or else the problem lies with outdated software .. which acts as a sticking plaster helping to keep this web-site online .. and almost viable.

This is it without the links.

Spoke to my father tonight and he was very excited. He tells me that everything is OK re his S1 and that a law had been passed in the UK parliament to continue paying the EU for the healthcare of S1 and/or EHIC holders. Wasn't some bloke in the pub this time but a woman he met in the local supermarket.

He is sort of right in that indeed a law has been pasted a couple of weeks back but that's about it.

As I have a distrust of newspapers I went looking for this "law" and found it.

Basically it is to give the Secretary of State the power to negotiate a reciprocal healthcare agreement with the EU with or without any Brexit agreement, something it appears he/she can't do at present. Here is a link to what I found.

Interestingly there is a table in the link that says how many Brits have S1's. The interesting bit comes when you compare it with list from ONS of how many Brits (believe) live in each EU country.

As an example there are 96.2k Brits in Germany yet only 2.8k hold S1's (2.91%). In Spain there are 308.8k with only 67k with S1's (21.7%) and in France there are 157k with only 41k (26.11%) with S1's.

These figures of course only apply to S1 holders and does not in anyway reflect those that have taken early retirement and are not currently eligible for an S1 nor that some are not of UK retirement age but have an S1 on the back of their wife or husband who is of retirement age.

I'm not passing any comment on these numbers other than it's interesting.

Like you say it's (software) really naff and clearly not designed for modern browsers.

With regards to anywhere, there will be people who work and will not have an S1. There will be many who are not old enough to have an S1 either.

And I daresay some will be using their EHIC's and they should not.

If we moved back to France we would not be eligible for an S1 [Www] and we would still be british people living in France!

[quote user="idun"] And I daresay some will be using their EHIC's and they should not.

![/quote]

Interestingly in the information that they have published this week both the Charente and the Vienne have said that they will accept a U.K. issued EHIC as proof of medical cover for people applying for a CdS if they have been resident for less than a year.

And of course British people who have accrued a French pension by having worked or run a business here will not have an S1 since France pays their health cover. There are quite a few people in that situation and the number  is likely to grow as younger ones who have been here for a while reach retirement age.