Why Have I lost my message authors?

Hi All

When I joined the Forum I could not see the names of the authors on the messages, and assumed this was a membership thing as when I had posted a few messages the authors names appeared in the box, but now they have gone again,

Is this anything to do with the forum server changes or could my ad/pop up blocker be doing it?

Any advice appreciated

Ron

I think your question is answered in the 'Living France' section (the one under the post bag)

From memory it may have something to do with Norton or similar and the fact that the URL of the forum is now different.

PS ooops, its here (postbag): http://forums.livingfrance.com/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=28&MessageID=52728&TopicPage=2

"Tried all that, changed my firewall, tried disabling the firewall, tried unblocking ad blocking, and tried adding *.livingfrance* etc to Firewall, but it would not accept this as a valid site.  I also tried adding whole URL http://forums.livingfrance.com/ to Firewall but still no control panel or author.  Is it just me???"

Ron
Having a few problems myself, luckily my PC at work although the same can get to the Control panel and everything else, but my one at home can't (don't have any problem with the author names, but can't access them to view profiles)
Have tried all recommendations myself - even disabling the firewall and anti virus - still doesn't work, but at least I have something to experiment with.  My next try will be to have a go at the Java version when I get home.  Will be happy to let you know if I get anywhere.

Try clearing the browsers Cache.

If you don't know how to do this:

With Internet Explorer: Go into the Tools, Internet Options ... menu, then on the General tab press the Delete files ... button (in the Temporary Internet files section) and enable the "Delete All Offline content option.

With Firefox, Tools, Options menu, Privacy option then in the list the Cache line which has a Clear on the right side.

With other browsers I don't know.

This procedure clears out stuff that is buffered on your computer. Your browser buffers stuff on your local computer to make loading pages faster so you may find that some sites are a bit slower when you first visit them again (as everything must be re-loaded), but not too terrible. This will be all sites, not just LF (as the cache is a browser function and clearing it clears everything).

May help - it did when I had problems with the Control Panel.

Another possibility is that Norton Internet Security does not always exit and stop doing things when you disable it and tell it to finish. Try seeing thread http://forums.livingfrance.com/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=5&MessageID=45250

"My next try will be to have a go at the Java version when I get home.  Will be happy to let you know if I get anywhere."

Ron and I1
Sorry to say it failed and I had already tried clearing the cache, but gave it another go anyway.
Still feel its a Java problem and have posted a message with the error in the magazine part of the Forum

hey - I'll have you know I resemble that remark!

Nothing wrong on my mac - although I did get numerous "out of memory' scripting errors when I tried to access the site earlier on.

Have you got any CSS scripts lurking? I tried out a CSS script to block ads and popups and the OH couldn't see the pics on Amazon - "nothing to do with me" I said, "what have you broken now?" !

"Make sure you are using everything Microsoft. If you have a MAC (even in the same house or village) it can cause problems with this ......."

Rest assured for all the Mac fans, we have a few here at work where I have full functionality (of the machine, not brain that is).  Perhaps I need to "borrow" one for home. Its a shame the're not connected to the Internet, would love to try one of them.
Have noticed now that IE here is set to Custom security.  Have made a list and s
omething else to try tonight.  Other than that all versions and patches are the same, but could of course be due to some other program installed.  So if that doesn't work will then have to start making another list over Xmas.

Have now matched everything in IE on both machines.  One works one doesn't however on the one that doesn't, I have also tried Netscape 7 and Firefox.  Both work and I can get to Control Panel with no problem, but when I reply to a message, I get no formatting or spellcheck.
So looks like I have to make a choice for the time being as to which is most important!

Try clearing the browsers Cache.

If you don't know how to do this:
With Internet Explorer: Go into the Tools, Internet Options ... menu, then on the General tab press the Delete files ... button (in the Temporary Internet files section) and enable the "Delete All Offline content option.

Thank you!  It worked and I've had this problem for weeks.