Tenants

Elle

Can any one help me in that I have rented my Gite on a long term (1 year) let @ £200 per month and paying their own utility bills. For this they are mowing the lawns, have use of a swimming pool and fishing lake and the Gite being mostly furnished. They have now refused to pay rent as they say they are both working 6hrs each every fortnight. I had spoken on the phone in-death as to what was needed around the grounds. Am I being unreasonable in charging £200. Before they moved from Brittany they viewed the grounds etc.. on Google Earth saying that they did not need to come and view the area, grounds etc... I took a damage deposit and one months rent, which they are now demanding that it should be returned. I value any ones comments. Elaine

[quote user="Chezstevens"]Look to remove them asp. Start proceedings so they are not resident at the start of winter.[/quote]Hmm.  As they are quasi-employees, can Elle do this? It appears from what our o/p writes that this is not a straight-forward tenancy agreement.

I think, Elle, that you need to have a good look at your contract - what terms did you agree and what did you all  sign up to?  Assuming that you have a proper contract, why not ask your Notaire where you stand?

[quote user="Chezstevens"]Look to remove them asp. Start proceedings so they are not resident at the start of winter.[/quote]

Good point.

Elle, in case you are not aware of this French law:

The implementation of judgements of expulsions is suspended in France each winter between 1st November and 15th March.

In other words, if your tenant are not out by 31st October, they are entitled to stay until 15th March, regardless of any court order or judgement you may obtain.

As Cooperlola mentions in her post, this applies to tenants. Employees are in another sphere altogether...

Elle,

I am concerned that you may have entered into this without full

knowledge of how heavily regulated rentals are in France. Laws are

definitely leaning towards the tenants.

If you have a tenancy agreement or a rental contract, which has been breached by your tenants' refusal to pay the rent, you really should start the ball rolling NOW in order to get them out ASAP.

As has been mentioned in a previous post, if they are still in situ at the end of October, they will be able to stay until next spring.

You should find the process to follow below:

You should also find similar info HERE (translation).