Hello

I have recently replaced Norton Anti Virus (now disabled) with AVG7.

It worked fine until a few days ago when it became apparent that, despite checking for daily updates and seeing them, AVG does not download them.

I have removed and re-installed AVG7 and tried a manual update on installation, but although I can see there is a critical file ready for download, the download screen just disappears.

I am running Windows ME with a Norton Firewall (which did not need to re-configuring when I first downloaded AVG).

I cannot figure out why the updates just stopped being dowloaded when everything worked fine for a few weeks, with no intervention on my part...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I have just had a look at AVG forum and I realise that A LOT of people are screaming about update problems...

It seems there could be a server capacity problem (?) at their end and that updating is a bit of hit and miss at the moment...

So I'll be patient, enable Norton again for the time being and I'll keep trying... unless someone knows better?

Every now and then I have an update problem such as you describe, as you say the thing to do is just wait and try it every now and then - it will update in the end.

Frankly I think AVG are ahead as far these updates are concerned and you would be very unlucky to succumb to a new virus while you are waiting (just a few hours normally)

Bon Chance

Further to my problem mentioned yesterday...

I have managed to download the update file from the AVG website (www.grisoft.com) on my computer (remembering where!)...

In the AVG control centre, highlight Update Manager, click Properties (bottom right) and untick "do not ask for the update source".

Then do a manual update, the program will open a screen asking where to get the update from, browse your computer to wherever you saved the update file and Bob's your uncle...!

It worked for me yesterday and I then reset the dowload time to early morning (well, 8 am!) and it updated itself without a hitch this morning!

Thanks to everyone for the various tips and I hope this solution helps someone else.