Direction for Dish

Apologies if this has been answered, but having a computer with a keyboard and mouse that constantly freezes I am struggling to get through the 500 replies that came up when I did a search;

In which direction must the dish be facing to pick up BBC etc, with a digibox?

The precise azimuth bearing depends on your location.  However, it is the Astra 2 satellite at which you need to point your dish and that is 28 degrees east of due south.

You will find information on here which will tell you how to set up your dish.

You should find this link useful.  Although it's intended for caravanners it's equally applicable in your case.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/de.sullivan/

I know I'm being a bit pedantic as I guess, in France, there is more chance of error just by using the compass. But the satellite is actually 28 east of 0 (i.e the imaginary line which goes through Greenwich and Paris) and not east of due south as stated. So if by chance you are in Bucharest (26degrees east), then the satellite is only 2 degrees further east. (And in Johannesburg 28 degrees east, it would be due north! Yes, I know this is a useless bit of info as the beam does not point in that direction, but it amused me).

[quote]I know I'm being a bit pedantic as I guess, in France, there is more chance of error just by using the compass. But the satellite is actually 28 east of 0 (i.e the imaginary line which goes through Gr...[/quote]

You are correct, inasmuch as if you were in Bucharest the azimuth reading would be  177.12.  However,the Astra 2 satellites are co-located in a geostationary arc above the Equator at 28.2 degrees east of due south, in which case you are wrong.  Thus, the azimuth reading for someone in Paris is 146.72 degrees, which is 33.28 degrees east of due south.

To make such an observation is not exactly helpful for someone attempting to site their dish, who clearly does not have much idea about the position of the satellites.  For the sake of simplicity, and knowing he lives in France, it is easier to suggest the dish is pointed at 28 degrees east and then moved, right or left, until a signal is obtained.

If you wish to be really pedantic, there are four satellites, Eurobird 1, Astra 2A, 2B, and 2D, co-located, and it's impossible for them all to be at precisely 28.2 degrees.

Actually, if you were in Johannesburg the bearing would be 180 - due south.

On reflection I will concede that I over complicated my "correction" of your posting. Judging by the tone of your reply, you took it as a personal dig, it was not meant that way, I just thought that the use of "Due South" was misleading. Sorry you felt put out.

No, I didn't take it as a personal dig.  It's just that it's difficult to explain to someone who probably has no knowledge of satellites and positioning.  I did say at the outset that it depended on their location, and I gave them the simplest means of orienting their dish.

When someone else replies, which appears to contradict the advice given, then it will inevitably confuse them.  Sorry if I appeared a tad uptight.

Incidentally, Lollie, if you post your nearest town I'll let you have the exact azimuth bearing and angle of elevation.

With a bit of DIY skill, an old walking compass and guidance from http://www.brymar.co.uk/info/info.html (sorry but I cannot hyperlink it without Internet Explorer) I mounted my UK disk and aligned it in less that 1 hour. I was probably lucky but it was not too difficult. I actually get a stronger and better quality signal (both) in France that I did in the UK. The above site also gives coverage beams, etc.

To add my 2€ worth....

Even if you get the dish aimed in the right direction it can still be hard to get the final alignment right if your using the level display on the Sky box with someone shouting out of the window.

for under £10, I bought a meter like this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4693&item=5746496335&rd=1 and found it to be brilliant at fine tuning the dish once you have it in the rough direction, also great if the dish gets moved by the wind..

Regards

Paul

The best way of aligning your dish, if you are able, is to have your tv close at hand so that you can see the screen.  You must make sure that it is electrically safe to do this

I have a motorised dish in the UK, and when I installed it I made up a length of coax from the RF output socket of the satellite receiver to a portable tv, which I took outside.  Thus, I was able to watch the tv whilst I was lining up the dish on the correct satellites.

You can also do this by using  the digibox and a portable tv, if it's not convenient to run a length of cable.  Connect the cable, temporarily,from the lnb to the digibox, and set it up to the tv in a position where you see the tv screen easily.

The problem with using a cheap satellite finder, blindly, is that you may line up your dish on the wrong satellite.

• 3 weeks later...
Incidentally, Lollie, if you post your nearest town I'll let you have the exact azimuth bearing and angle of elevation.

Robbie

Our friends have been trying to align their dish at their new house. Please would you let me know the bearing and angle they need? Their nearest town is Lisle, near Perigueux, Dept. 24

Thanks