What is the best way to get a set up that will play dvd`s only, so we dont have to get a TV licence.

Will an english TV work in france (and will it need a TV Lic) I was thinking about a TV DVD combo and not using the TV.

If you have any TV capable of receiving a signal, then a TV licence is required. If you purchase a portable DVD with a combined screen only capable of playing DVD then I guess no Licence is required.

A UK television will work for Satellite using a scart connection but unless it has French secam tuner it will not receive French TV. You are possibly better to purchase a TV in France which can also be used for satellite TV.

Baz

Boring!

A TV licence (which doesn't actually exist in it's own right any more) in France is the same as UK one - it is a licence to OWN equipment that is CAPABLE of receiving TV broadcasts (it matters not where they come from). So pay!

DVD's are not encoded (PAL, SECAM or whatever). The TV ouput of a DVD player may be SECAM (although every French DVD player I have seen has been PAL encoded). So use a DVD player with any TV via the SCART connection.

But pay your Taxe d'Habitation, which will include your TV licence, like a good expat eh?

[quote]Not true. See my earlier post.[/quote]

Nick,

You did not read my answer, I said  PORTABLE DVD player, ie the type that can be used in a car. These devices are not capable  of receiving TV broadcasts or signals and only play DVDs, therefore no licence is required. This applies in both France and the UK

Baz

[quote]Get a licence for gods sake, 130 euros or whatever, I hated paying it in the UK and never had Sky as a result but if you want a TV then you gotta have a licence.[/quote]

what a pikey paying a tv licence you gest

private joke

Dave and Olive

Its not that I dont want to pay a TV Lic its just that I dont watch TV in france

I only watch DVD`S every now and then ( no more than 10~15 hrs a year) and it seems a bit "over the top " to pay £90 or so to do it

[quote]Nick, You did not read my answer, I said PORTABLE DVD player, ie the type that can be used in a car. These devices are not capable of receiving TV broadcasts or signals and only play DVDs, therefor...[/quote]

Aye, quite true, I missed that bit.

Nonetheless, to avoid a licence (here & in the UK), the equipment must run from it's own INTERNAL batteries, not plugged into a fag lighter.

I doubt that the licencing authorities in either country worry about them, however. (Not least because most people who own one, also have a TV at home).

TV licences (in France) WERE 116E, but are now included in one's Taxe d'Habitation (in most areas). The Tresor will need advising that one does not have a TV, as they assume that you do. There are still exemptions for SC's and students living away from home, but you must "Tick the box" if either of these applies.

If the OP is not a permanent resident, then I guess that his UK TV licence covers portable equipment used here - although I am not sure.

Who would want to watch DVD's on a 7" screen? I don't, so I use our 17" laptop in the car/on boats. Doesn't need a licence becuase it is internally powered...

"Nonetheless, to avoid a licence (here & in the UK), the equipment must run from it's own INTERNAL batteries, not plugged into a fag lighter."

this refers tv recievers. A dvd player, being unable to receive tv signals, can be mains powered. You can use your laptop plugged into the mains...

Mike

[quote]Why not buy a good size TFT computer monitor and run the DVD's from your computer no licence required then.[/quote]

Apart from the fact that simple computer monitors don't use the same video system as DVD players and TV's. You would need a multimedia TFT monitor (which are more expensive) and may (because they often include tuners) need a licence....

In the UK, my business supplies plenty of multimedia TFT and LCD monitors for use as video monitors. For each installation (usually in commercial premises without a TV licence) we apply for an exemption from the licence. Does such a scheme exist in France?

[quote]Apart from the fact that simple computer monitors don't use the same video system as DVD players and TV's. You would need a multimedia TFT monitor (which are more expensive) and may (because they ofte...[/quote]

Yes.

[quote]Yes.[/quote]

(Ignore the quote)

I think I may have used the wrong term ie. TFT, what I was getting at was,  to use a flat screen computer LCD type monitor 19"/21" and use the computer to play the DVD.

[quote]I was replying to the "cry-baby's" question about an exemption certificate.[/quote]

Yes, Boghound I realised that, it was me i had clicked on the wrong box and got your quote instead of the one i wanted, get's 'kin complicated.

[quote]Yes, Boghound I realised that, it was me i had clicked on the wrong box and got your quote instead of the one i wanted, get's 'kin complicated.[/quote]

No Worries....Life's like that...Take the wrong turn...Click on wrong box