anybody else lost sat signal?

Before I climb on the roof and start waggling the dish, has anyone else lost the sat signal for free channels?  Worked OK this time yesterday, turned on in the evening and got a "no signal received" message and zero signal strength. Same today.   This is in 84 (N Vaucluse)

Steve

Its amazing how effective this forum is. 10 minutes after filing my message I tried the set again and all working normally, without anything else being touched!

I have about 90% signal strength but nothing showing on the  "signal quality"    strip - what should this be? Does it matter??

Steve   

Very strange...   soon after sending the "everything OK after all" it went off again.  Currently we get some channels but not others  with 90% strength and zero quality reading. I don't understand quite why since surely the signal is coming from the same spot via the same antenna/satellite etc? I can understand why we migt get different quality digital signal on the Freeview system in England, since ITV etc is coming from a different transmitter to BBC and so on, but how come it varies from the same satellite?     Does putting a signal booster on the line from the dish help at all?

"Puzzled in Puymeras"

Steve   

Steve, what's your weather like at the moment.  In Correze if we have heavy rain, particular channels "pixelate" and freeze and then we lose the signal.

We had lots of problems when we first moved here to the point where OH thought we'd never get it right.  He spent ages up the ladder while I was downstairs saying "yes, no, it's gone again, etc".  In a fit of peak he bashed the dish connection with the screwdriver and presto, perfect picture.

Only if we get a really heavy downpour (in Correze it KNOWS how to rain) do we lose the signal. 

Jan

slast,

You will never get good/consistent results with a zero quality indication.

And you may get some programs and not others due to different tps' and polarisations ( horizontal versus vertical) being used and the proper switching of these by your digital receiver.

Also, have you tried disconnecting your receiver from the mains, re-connecting it 5 minutes later, then checking the signal quality?

[quote user="Slast"]

Very strange...   soon after sending the "everything OK after all" it went off again.  Currently we get some channels but not others  with 90% strength and zero quality reading. I don't understand quite why since surely the signal is coming from the same spot via the same antenna/satellite etc? I can understand why we migt get different quality digital signal on the Freeview system in England, since ITV etc is coming from a different transmitter to BBC and so on, but how come it varies from the same satellite?     Does putting a signal booster on the line from the dish help at all?

"Puzzled in Puymeras"

Steve   

[/quote]

All of the above points to your dish or LNB arm moving very slightly. You need the alognment adjusting by a minute amount and the locking in place. A signal booster will do nothing for the symptoms you are describing. There is cluster of satellites and the beam alignemnt varies slightly between them. It is probably also worth checking the tightness of the co ax feed into the digibox. Normally you need 50 % plus signal quality.

Thank you....... looks like I'll have to climb up on the roof!! We had heavy wet snow a month or so back and that may have moved it a bit. This is the first time it's been used since then. The coax feeds into the boxes are all good, I remade them as part of the troubleshooting and that doesn't seem to have done it.

Thanks again,

Steve 

Slast,

Do you have trees directly opposite your sat. dish?  Now that trees are starting to bud, the extra growth and foliage can interfere with transmission.  This happened to me last Spring and as a result we had to lob the "offending" branches.