Cookies (not the edible ones)

I did a search and read the previous posts that came up regarding cookies, however, I have a further question.

I regularly (nearly every day) delete the temporary internet and cookie files from my computer.  However, each time I run my Spyware protection package (every day), I find an average of 10 "infections" almost always cookies.  I find this extremely annoying (the cookie part).  I understand sites such as my bank, this forum, etc. require cookies in order for me to log on with my address and password.  What bothers me are the other cookies that get dropped on my computer.  I have now gone into my Explorere 6.0 version and set it to ask me whether I want to accept cookies, each time one is about to drop in.  I can't even sign on to Yahoo.com without accepting a cookie !  It seems all sites now have these little spy packages they dump on you.  If you don't accept them, you can't access that particular website.

I remember, a couple of years ago, you could actually go to the company and ask that you be removed from their tracking list (I don't remember all the details), but now, when you try to even send an email to these tracking companies, they are refused (the email).  It seems they are not interested in hearing from anyone (what a shock) - except perhaps their customers whom we are being spied on for.

Any way to stop this? and still access websites?

Only a personal point of view, but as long as cookies are not malicious I have no problem with them - most are intended to save time and effort.  Some Spyware protection packages can also be over-zealous.  If you regularly block cookies then navigating the web, as you have found, becomes a nightmare.

You might like to try a neat programme called 'crapcleaner'. It can be downloaded from www.filehippo.com and it can be set to clean your computer, including cookies automatically, 'say' once a day. It also gives you the ability to select certain cookies that you wish to keep i.e from your bank etc. I have used it now for over a year with no problems, simple to use and not a big package.   

Cassis - You may be right, but when you read up on cookies, I don't like the idea.  I just don't like the idea of anyone putting a tracking code on my computer without my knowledge.  Now, that I am notified beforehand, I can't believe how many websites do this.  After reading up on cookies, the information they "can" gather can be troubling.  What they do with it can be even more troubling.  All this without my knowledge.  It is the very essence of spying.  I wouldn't do it to them and I don't want it done to me.

Wils - thanks for that.  I had seen it when researching data on cookies.  I will give it a try.

Yes, what I did is set the computer to ask before a cookie is placed on my computer.  This way I can accept or refuse each time.  I am startled to find that so many websites try to drop them in. 

I kind of equate this tactic as similar to someone following me each time my car leaves the driveway, watching exactly where I go and who I visit, writing it down and reporting the information back to a "client."

I very much agree with Lori on the subject of cookies. That word is a 'feel good' word for computer spyware. They arrive on our PC's with the intention of allowing others to monitor our personal behaviour. We would never consider allowing our privacy to be invaded in such a way in other things. For example advertisers listening in to our phone calls. Cookies do exactly the same with our PC's. They are a pest and should be banned.

I use and can recommend Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security. The system is set to automatically deletes any cookies found on my PC at least three times a day. This has no effect on my access to banks, or any other regularly visited sites. 

If enough of us send strong messages to commercial organisations that we don't want cookies they will stop using them.

Logan - thanks for that.  I will look up the Trend product.

As it is now, I delete them manually every day.  And, if I go to my bank website, I delete cookies and temp. Internet files BEFORE accessing my bank site.  I just don't trust people who operate this way.  After reading up on what "some" cookies do, they are not all so "innocent."  I find it hard to believe this is allowed at all.  You are right, we would not allow it on our phones, or following our cars, our personal computers should be no exception to that rule.

If you want an impartial analysis of the pros and cons of Cookies and how to deal with them then you might read some of the stuff on this site:

http://www.cookiecentral.com/faq/

Here is one excerpt:

"Revealing any kind of personal information

opens the door for that information to be spread.

Consider the growing trend of technology conveniences in our lives.

We use "frequent buyer" cards at supermarkets and gas stations. We

place electronic tags on our cars to pay tolls faster and easier.

We let banks pay our bills for us automatically each month without

checks.

While each of these technologies (and others like them) have made our

lives more convenient, each time we use them exposes us to a loss of

privacy. Stores know what foods you eat. Gas stations know how much

you spend on gas per fill-up. Turnpike operators know how fast you

drive on their highways. Banks know how you spend your money each

month.

It's the same with cookies. In fact, one may argue that cookies in the

long-run will be less damaging to privacy efforts than those technologies

described above. If you're going to single-out cookies as your sole

vulnerability to personal privacy, you should re-examine how you live

your daily life."

Cassis - I would be willing to guess that excerpt was written by a person/company who themselves drop cookies on us.

I don't own a credit card or gas card and the grocery card I have, I chose to have.  If I had a credit card, it would be my choice too (knowing it could be tracked).  I know my bank will know where I use my Debit Card - I have no choice in the matter, but they don't sell the info. to anyone else.   I don't have anything electronic on my car, but I realize there are cameras out there watching us on the autoroute, totally different to me.  The "technologies" described in the excerpt refer to things people sign up for.  Cookies come from people/places unknown and I have not signed up for them.  If you read further about cookies, you will see that many are not as innocent as those noted above (if you consider those innocent).  I am sure you can read both positive and negative data regarding cookies.  I am still of the opinion that it is spyware and I don't want it happening to me.

I guess we can just have a difference of opinion on this one.  Fair enough.

Personally I try to avoid anything which may help others to spy on my private affairs. Paying cash for most things is one. Often in France this raises eyebrows and the French assume you are on the fiddle but hey, so what. I never use storecards or respond to advertisments, give my personal details to someone I don't know etc. etc. It's common sense really. Be aware that identity theft is on it's way to a street near you! Banks and the government are different. They are bound by a very strict code of confidentality and client contracts. If I ever suspected they used the information they have in third party dealings I would change my bank. Changing the government is less easy I accept they pass on information to the revenue but that's life.

This forum uses cookies. Why Spy? Come on Admin it's not that much of a bind to log in every time we visit the forum. I have to do it with my bank. If you made the password a little easier, that would help.

It was written by the same guy who wrote all the rest of the page and who explains in detail how to block, delete and scan for cookies.  He appears to have no axe to grind one way ot the other.

He just makes a point in that paragraph that if you are concerned about cookies giving someone details about your computer (so as to optimise the site for your configuration) and the pages you visit when you are on their website (which is the kind of thing most of the harmless cookies do - I'm not talking about adware and spyware type cookies) then you should be just as concerned about the information collected about your purchase patterns by supermarket loyalty card or a credit/debit card and you might want to think about other ways that companies gather information about you.  He doesn't say cookies are a good thing for you if you are concerned about your privacy.

Both you and Logan go the whole hog, don't use cards etc., which is the logical thing to do if your privacy in these sort of matters means that much to you.

There's no reason why you shouldn't block cookies, but if websites did not make them available to the rest of us it would make the Internet more cumbersome for those of us who don't mind.  Everyone has a choice the way things are now, as to whether they accept them or not.  Block them if you don't like them, allow them if you don't mind.

I accept what you have written Cassis as being broadly true.

However most basic computer users have no idea what a cookie is never mind making an informed decision about removing them or not. That's what is underhanded and sneaky about them. That is why they have become so commonly used. They can get away with it, simple as that.

I wouldn't worry too much about cookies - accept, delete, and move on!

I would reccomend you dump microsoft's internet explorer - it's a huge security risk.

Try Opera - this is a really speedy browser; the only reason I don't use it is that it overtakes my downloading of torrent files and I couldn't be bothered to work out how to overide that. Not a worry if you are not big on file sharing etc.

I use Mozzila/Firefox. It's not quite as 'fast loading' as the latest version of Opera, but still faster than IE.

Both of these browsers are far safer than IE and many users find them more versatile/user friendly (I certainly do).

I use one decent firewall and one decent virus scanner: in tandem with firefox I have never had a single result from my spyware detectors! **Be aware that when using adaware (etc) there is a difference between critical results and negligable results; don't panic over the negligable results.

Just download them for free off the net and try - you can always revert back to your original browser.

**Forgot to add: you don't need to go into Control panel > options  using Firefox, you just click under 'tools' and select 'clear private data'  --  that gives you a 'tickable'  box for versatile and instant  removal of your tracks. Now isn't that simple?!

FWIW, if you're using Internet Explorer and don't want to go to the trouble of changing browsers, you can dump cookies in IE by going to Tools/Options/General and choosing "Delete cookies".  No need to go into the Start/Control Panel routine.

Of course, none of this solves the problem of websites that deny access if you don't allow cookies.  I just ban 3rd party cookies and periodically dump the other ones I don't want.

In a perfect world, we wouldn't have this problem.  However, if you think we're living in a world where we have privacy, you probably haven't googled yourself lately.