Tip for shipping your household effects.

If you are coming in from outside the EU make sure your shippers/house removelist send you household effects  to France via the UK,where it is off loaded and then moved  to France.If it comes into France direct you may have to pay import duty and also a lot of paperwork.By coming into the UK first,France  considers it as Custom cleared thus saving a lot of hassle.It may take a bit more time for your bed and dinner set to arrive [:)]  but its worth it.I have just spent a few days trying to get my stuff organised for shipping from Australia and this appears the best way to do it and that way you do not have all the bureaucratic paperwork.

We were allowed one duty free shipment into France from the U.S.  All our items were shipped with North American Van Lines and we had no customs fees.  Not sure if things have changed since then.  That was five years ago when we received our shipment.

I was given the same advice shipping from Japan, Pancake. Somehow the car arrived through Southampton and the rest through London but it all worked out perfectly with all the goods finally delivered in Ariege.  The stuff arrived on Friday and the drivers shot off to Spain to spend the weekend on the beach ...can:t drive trucks at the weekend in France you know [;-)].  

Good luck Pancake.  I envy you as I am still stuck here in Japan for another 4 months ...a CGT problem!

Coral -  should be in the ariege!!!

It doesn't have to be UK, any other EU country will do. Our shipping went to Rotterdam and was trans shipped for Le Havre, no customs hassle at all. Probably because Rotterdam assume its the final countries problem and France assumed it had been cleared. Either way it worked, albeit not deliberatly planned that way.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi. Have just been alerted to this post by a friend in France. We, like pancake are in Australia and just about to arrange our shipping container. The idea of sending via the UK was mentioned to us by someone else but when we asked the shipping people they didn't think it a good idea so we didn't persue it. Having read this post it would seem that it can be a better way to do it, so shall have another word tomorrow with the company. They will be here next week to start the packing Mon, Tue, and Wed. and the move will take place on Thu. That is of course providing all is still OK with the sale of house. If pancake is still in Australia and reading this could you let me know who you used and from which state please. We are in Tasmania and looking to use Wridgways who seem the best by far from the the other's that have been to quote. Anyone else done this...sent via UK? any problems? Thanks. Anne

Its easy to do it all yourself, including bypassing moving companies. 

We packed, loaded and tied down furniture and goods into 40 ft. container for shipping Los Angeles to Le Harve at container rate, regardless of content weight or quantity.  One day to load the container with 3 friends and enough beer.  About 4 wks transit time.  Household goods reasonably itemized.  Helps to have a friend who knows how to pack/tie things down.  No breakage.  Goods 1 yr or older have no import duty fees. 

Old car of German make to US import specs was a minor headache (Porsche had slightly different veh. number on chassis and original paper work. Required letter from them to say they mean the same thing!).  All came in same container with shipper in LA performing the car tie down.  Some vat required for car.

UK transit had also been suggested, especially for car.  I could see no real benefit.  Local transit from Le Harve to Dordogne was reasonable cost.  Just be prepared to hop to it and unload the container at your door.

• 1 month later...
We had a container load sent three years ago via Le Havre and another last year and we had no problems at all, apart from the shippers deciding we owed them more money and wouldn't release our goods until we paid. But we are here now and don't need to use them again.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey friends, this is a very long shot!  Anyone here evr moved effects from India to France?  I'm coming back to retire after spending 7 years in India and bringing my handicapped 'son' with me. He's 8 years old.  We'll hopefully be moving into a little property in the Indre.

Nice to meet you, Namaste,

Shanthi[:)]