TV Repair Service

Hi we live near Villedieu in (50) and the TV has just gone.  We had hoped to delay a new purchase until any bugs in the new HD stuff had been sorted and to be blunt the costs started dropping.  However.............does anyone know please of a good TV repair service in this area be they French or English

thanks once more

[quote user="PossumGirl"]I'm curious as to whether it's even possible to repair a TV these days?  With all the circuit boards, etc., does anyone even know how?   It seems a shame, but I think the manufacturers plan it that way.

PG
[/quote]

It is indeed possible. All they do is change the appropriate board or module - probably be more expensive than a new TV, unless it is a name-brand widescreen or summat.

That apart, every TV shop will have repair facilities, so try your local Gitem or Express, etc..

Hi TV has absolutely now given up the ghost off to buy one later this week end.  Please can someone just indicate whether or not a French purchased TV would be compatable with SKY and its boxes?  What does one have to look out for

I have no knowledge whatsoever and as for recording a programme well.............................

many thanks

From memory don't the French run on the SECAM system?

I know UK is on the PAL system and the USA on the different NTSC system.

My recently brought UK set is compatible with NTSC for video playback though no mention of SECAM.

Of course just as the HD stuff looks like getting sorted out the Blueray thing appears, can you really win on emerging technology.

Has anyone brought anything from the Internet and had it delivered to their address in France? Maybe that would be the way forward.

I know people order and have things sent to UK addresses ready to pick up but its a long haul just for a television.

Hope you get it sorted out soon, even if its to pick up a second hand one locally for the time being.

Regards.

More2Learn.

Just about any TV sold new in Europe (for some years) will work with both PAL and SECAM - certainly if you buy a 'brand'. We have had 2 TVs in France (and are just about to take out or old UK TV) and all seem completely interchangeable, but are Sonys and you would expect a degree of sophistication.

Our new Sony LCD is wonderful, by the way, but expensive. HD ready etc., and only weighs 11Kg (compared to about 60Kg for the same screen size Trinitron).

I have had books etc delivered from Amazon to France (a few years ago) with no problem, I don't know about larger items as these tend to use ParcelFarce.

Both my Pioneer and LG TV's work fine with PAL Secam, NTSC (for US DVDs) et al no probs.  Have had large items delivered here from Amazon and FNAC on line, with no problems.  However, if you have the chance to buy in the UK try Richer Sounds - by far the best TVand Hi-fi deals I've come across although you have to buy from their (often rather cramped) shops.  But the guys are really into what they're selling and give excellent advice.

I've bought both a deep freeze and a microwave through Discounteo and both times their service has been excellent and delivery speedy and FREE.  Their prices were less than any place else I checked for the same item and they explain the correct wording to put on the delivery receipt so that if you can't open the box while the deliveryman is there, you can cover your rear for any defects you later on discover.

PG