I'm about to get ADSL  Yipeeeeeeeeeee. Having trolled the various Broadband providers there is a bewildering choice. I'm attracted to TeleconnectFrance, especially with the free phone calles to UK and other countries.

Does anyone have experience of  TeleconnectFrance or recommendatations for other Providers, French or  otherwise?

I am well out of the village but the lines have just been unbundled so dont pay anything to Francetelecom and use TELE2. Cost for broadband is just under 35 euros a month with unlimited free calls to Europe plus I think USA, Canada. Mobiles are extra but the charges are clearly stated.

A couple of teething problems were soon sorted and I am quite happy.

Occasionally I can't get online but this never lasts long. I do know that the landlines round here are completely clapped out so put any problems down to them.

They did seem to take a long time to set things up, but then it seems there is a compulsory cooling off period of one week when they can do nothing.

Check your local newsagents because there is a magazine called something like 'Internet User' which compares deals from different providers and could help you.

Hope this helps,

Tim

The "free" calls (Internet calls through the modem) are more comprehensive on the other providers packages i.e. neuf.fr, club-internet.fr, free.fr. etc than with teleconnect.

Personally, I have been with Club Internet for just under a year with no problems and I am about to change to Free just because it is a bit cheaper than the rest

Enter your number in this website to get an idea of what you can expect from all the providers. Different levels of service are available in different locations - it depends on many factors. Once you know what is on offer, go to the websites of the providers, enter your phone number again to double check the offer and read the terms and conditions carefully before you decide. There are many subtle differences between the adsl packages on offer.

I have used the VOIP calls exclusively for nearly a year with Club Internet and saved heaps. It is also possible in certain areas to stop paying the FT line charge and save 15 euros a month. You are then dependent on the ISP for all your telephone charges/ costs. Good idea if it all works. You save the FT line rental and use "free" VOIP calls

hope this helps

Danny

I recently looked at the various prices and concluded the following:

Prices per month for ADSL, modem/router, unlimited landline calls to france and uk, zone non-degroup
club internet: €34.90
neuf/cegetel: €37.90
free: €29.99
tele2: €41.34
AOL: €34.90
orange: €37.90

also:
new to the markey: Darty: €32.90 (available from their shops which gives you hands on support)

and:
teleconnect: €39.90 (english service, if you don't want unlimited france calls this would be €34.90)
phonexpat (new) €29.99 - without telephone calls

beware that the market is constantly changing so tomorrow this comparison may be out of date

As a family we are HEAVY internet users - we've been with Free for almost 2 years with a 2.4 mega connection - most of the time the service is excellent, occasionally it's been downright frustrating. I don't think it matters who you speak to everyone seems to have complaints about their server and Free is no exception - however I have no intention of changing simply because as far as I can make out there is not a better server available in France. I think the reality is that at peak times the internet and all servers are often struggling to cope and this is reflected in periodic disconnects and slowdowns no matter who your server is.

I have to admit I did consider trying TeleconnectFrance for a month or two when their ad first hit "The News" but eventually I decided to give them a miss, I think it was because of all the extra cancellation costs if you want to stop having their service, despite their boast of "No minimum engagement, cancel at any time" plus the fact that they only guarantee ninety-something % internet connection during the year - I think it was 96% or 94% - probably very reasonable but it put me off!

As of tonight Free say they have 4,920,602 clients and as Danny says you also get Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) to 49 countries. Telephone via the internet isn't yet up to telecoms standard but it's perfectly acceptable and even better it's FREE.